I'm a little impaitent

NEWCOMER

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
.....SO. Our ewe had a lamb a day ago [its a girl] and I got so excited about the lamb...but then, it hit me. I COULD MILK THE EWE AND MAKE CHEESE AGAIN. So, I'm over here gettin' ahead of myself...then I realize; I GOTTA WAIT FOR ABOUT TWO WEEKS BEFORE I CAN DO THAT :barnie:hit

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congratulations on the healthy baby & mama!
Are you waiting for the colostrum to clear?
I have a cow, so this may not translate to sheep.. .but I start milking right away - only enough to relieve pressure in her udder - and save the colosturm in the freezer. Once it's not yellow anymore, I start using it.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
.....SO. Our ewe had a lamb a day ago [its a girl] and I got so excited about the lamb...but then, it hit me. I COULD MILK THE EWE AND MAKE CHEESE AGAIN. So, I'm over here gettin' ahead of myself...then I realize; I GOTTA WAIT FOR ABOUT TWO WEEKS BEFORE I CAN DO THAT :barnie:hit
You can start milking now! Good training for her and not as much of a waste since you won’t care as much if some spills.
Also, like @canesisters said, a good backup to have in the freezer for the future and you’ll keep her production up 👍