I'm at a loss....Buck gone horny!

GoreFarms5796

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Let me first start by saying that my husband and I are pretty new to the goat herding, only about a year and a half. We originally bought 5 goats from a lady...4 does and a buck. All Nubians. We then bought another Nubian doe to add to the heard. The first 4 does would not let us touch them at all. I was so disappointed. And my 5th one she would let me love on her all day long. The other 4 were so mean to her though. It was awful!

Breeding season came...he did his duty with all of them.... however... we had no kids. We came to the conclusion he was sterile and got rid of him.

We found another Buck that was just so handsome. We saw the kids that he had produced at another farm. Just beautiful! We sold some of the mean does...got some new does.... breeding season has come.... he's done his duty with each and every one of them multiple times while they were in heat so I know they have all got to be bred.

Here's where my problem is.... he keeps running one of my does constantly as if she's still in heat! He will do this for hours and hours. I have tried to separate him from the heard and then he just goes crazy and cries and carries on the entire time.

Anyone know why he would be doing this? Any suggestions?

I fear that if he continues she may miscarry.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ah buck problems! This is one of the main reasons that many people (including myself) keep bucks and does separate. Most people keep either two bucks or a buck and a wether so that you don't have one lonely buck.

In the meantime, could you separate her and one of your other does from him and the rest of the herd? Is it a possibility for you to get a buddy for him and keep them separate in the long run?

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Do you have a buddy for him to hang with when he is separated from the does?

I have a beautiful buck who is an aggressive lover and terrorizes the does relentlessly. The other 4 are more gentle natured. We pen breed the does we want bred by Mr. Crazy and then put him back and he chills out, takes out some of his tensions with his pals, and all is well. If he was alone though, I imagine he would be calling at those does all day long.

GoreFarms5796

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have considered separating her from him but then I figured he would just pick another one to torture. Lol.

So I guess my solution is to get him a wether friend and try to separate him? I figured once he bred them all he would calm down but I imagine I was very wrong.

Thank you both for your replies and suggestions.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
My question is - WHY is he chasing the doe. Do you have pregnancy conformation - or have just observed him breeding? Could she be cystic and perhaps cycling continuously? Could it be that this is a doe problem and not a buck problem... ?

Hope it's not that and that a buddy and a separate pen will calm him down. :)

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
You may consider getting a wether to put with so he can be separated.

We keep our buck with our does but had no issues. We keep the dolings away from him.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I thought the same as @frustratedearthmother

If the doe is pregnant, separate him (as the others said).

Personally, I would put him in with another intact buck over a wether. Your buck very well may do the same things he's doing to the wether. Most wethers have to deal with a lot, as some bucks don't stop chasing/mounting/tormenting the wether. If you put him with another buck it is "fair game" and the other buck is more likely to stand up for himself.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
X 2 what @Goat Whisperer said. Another Buck will allow him to get his energy out. I hate to see intact bucks with wethers. They mount them non stop and the wethers get NO break. It is horrible, it can wear down the wether to the point of illness. Very sad.

Latest posts