I'm getting an LGD! New Question!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Introducing her to the safe animals is one thing but you need to make sure you are not correcting her from doing her job. She is new there so she may not get who is safe and who is not.

This takes time and patience... don't you want her to go after animals that don't belong? Just be careful you do not train her out of doing the job she was purposed to do.

You have only had her for one week.. using a shock collar on her right now IMO is inappropriate.

My dogs are all great with all dogs here yet they will fiercely guard their fields from my GSD. They love her outside of the field but inside is off limits. They do see her as a threat to the goats... probably because she stirs up so much trouble "playing" with them through the fence.

Over use of a shock collar or inappropriate use will mess up your dog. A shock collar should never be used to replace human training and correction. Correction and training the dog to understand is important, a shock collar is an aide.

Not trying to be negative here but please be careful how much you are "flipping" your dogs, and overuse of this kind of correction plus the use of a shock collar can quickly ruin you dogs. LGD breeds are not like others and if you lose their trust you will ruin them.

neener92

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I know I got her for guarding. She's been barking at things at night so I don't think I am in anyway training her out of guarding, just don't want her killing one of my other dogs. She will also have to tolerate the other dogs going in her field they roam around the farm.

I've actually had her for two weeks. I don't plan on overusing the shock collar, but when I am in one side of the field and my little dog goes through the fence and Miley runs to the other side of the field after the little dog by the time I'd get there the small dog would be dead.

I felt the flipping in this case was needed to get the point across. This is the first time since I was told before that flipping shouldn't be overused or done for petty things.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe you can introduce her to the "safe" animals daily, having them with you and her so she understands they are safe. She seems like a good girl! We need some more pics! :D yes I am a hopeless picture freak. :p

neener92

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yea, that's what I was thinking of doing. She is a very good girl!

I'll work on the pics, it started raining when I was outside earlier.

Katy is an escape artist! I thought I had her pen fixed...she proved me wrong. I MIGHT have it this time? :idunno :fl Probably not! :)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
A day in the life.... :lol:

I just moved "D" and Callie ( pyr and Toli) in with the sheep... Sheep have never been around any dogs. :/

So we are watching them.. sheep are real freaked out keep running up to our legs alll frantic like. The dogs... they looked at them and are walking around the fenceline and basically ignoring them. Callie is the one I am more concerned with...

Oh and my 2 males are sharing a fenceline... Badger is not keen on D being in his old area. Growling and sticking his head through... D could care less!

Goofy dogs... but we sure do love them!

D was doing the Bunny Puppy! :lol: I have to get a pic!

neener92

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Haha, no doubt! They keep you on your toes that is for sure.

WLRRM

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I put my pyr pup in her own fenced area in the middle of the goat/chicken pasture for a few mos. To get familiar. She had been around chickens and goats since birth, still chased a chicken a couple of times when she was a pup(patience). She is now very protective of all of her critters. I would not keep a pyr away from intended herd mates as a pup. I would be more worried for the other dogs when your pyr catches them eating chickens. I am sure you will love the breed, good luck

neener92

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ahhh, Katy is awesomeeee!!!!!!!!! She got out again this morning, nothing new.....followed dad to the house after he got done feeding, and went up in the yard and sat with the turkeys!!!!! Just sat there! She tried walking up to the guineas who flipped out and she just sat down! Ate some of their poo :sick and went back to the barn like a good girl. Love my Miss K!

Miley is doing well, doing a great job of guarding at night...I hear lots of barking. Which really isn't a big deal because I can hardly hear her even though she is practically right next to the house. She got a hold of a turkey......I think she did it for guarding reasons though. I saw a turkey was on the top of our huge 'E' barn (how that sucker got up there is beyond me!) and I'm thinking it flew off the barn into her pasture and she thought it was something going to harm the critters. She was watching a crow fly around the other day like if it would have landed in the field she would have went after it. Which is awesome because there are some hawks up behind the chicken pasture, those darn things have taken birds out of one of our trees in the front yard! Anyway, I have a good feeling that's what happened because she has had plenty of opportunities to attack the turkeys and she hasn't, just that one time and that's it.

Here's a pic of the turkey on top of the barn. The E on the barn is like 4 feet tall I think....
3557_img_1635.jpg

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
If a chicken flies over the fence and into the wrong pasture they better fly out in a hurry. When I get new chickens I have to introduce them in a cage for a few days before my dogs know that they are part of the "herd". Doesn't mean I didn't lose a few when the dogs were young, but in the last year it has only been the newbies that get dispatched. I really believe now that the dogs know the difference.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
x2 if the dogs don't recognize it as one of their birds...well...it's food. :/

My turkeys fly into the trees too! Amazing those big birds can fly like that isn't it!

Latest posts