I'm getting an LGD! New Question!

neener92

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I forgot to mention the turkey is fine. Just feathers missing a small cut and bruises.

Would it be a bad idea to let Miley out to run with the four wheeler? My other dogs like running around the farm following the wheeler. She follows it when I go by her field. I figured it would be a good way to get some of her energy out.?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
What's her history there? Some LGD's chase cars etc and that's a bad idea. My neighbors Rott use to chase cars and attack the tires.... until she did that with a four wheeler.... lost her front leg. Ended up lining with the use of three legs.

I would be careful with it as it can, not saying it will, but can train a dog to "chase" vehicles. That's never a good thing in the long run.

neener92

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Southern by choice said:
What's her history there? Some LGD's chase cars etc and that's a bad idea. My neighbors Rott use to chase cars and attack the tires.... until she did that with a four wheeler.... lost her front leg. Ended up lining with the use of three legs.

I would be careful with it as it can, not saying it will, but can train a dog to "chase" vehicles. That's never a good thing in the long run.
I guess she's seen my dogs following it.....? She lived by a busyish road and never seemed to even look at vehicles while I was there. She doesn't try to follow the tractor or any cars that do drive by our place (which isn't a lot we live literally in the middle of nowhere, maybe 10 vehicles driving by in one day.) I feel she needs a little more exercise and she doesn't walk around on the farm on a leash too well..........

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Exercise is not something you need to worry about. LGD's by nature are nocturnal. They do little in the day, mostly sleep/nap on and off. Their energy is used at night. They are usually up all night. They are moving around patrolling and on guard.
So seeing her inactive in the daytime is normal.

neener92

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm aware of LGDs being nocturnal. But her field isn't very large for her patrolling to burn off some of that puppy energy.

neener92

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The girls are doing great!

Katy decided she didn't want to guard the sheep but liked guarding the chickens, turkeys, ducks, and the house better.....Oh well, we love her to death and she is turning into an awesome dog! She has been hanging out with our old dog which is amazing! If she could turn out half as awesome as him we will be set, my family is just amazed at how smart and sweet she is. My dad wasn't too excited when I got her and just last night he came in the house from putting wood in the stoves and had to tell the whole family he thinks she is going to make a wonderful dog and she is so calm for a pup. We love her to death!

Miley is a sweetheart! The other day she tried reaching through the fence to get a hold of our old dog and the electric fence got her, I think she thought it was him. She has calmed down so much since then. She is just wonderful!