I'm interested in your views on the subject..

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm not able to read the whole thread right now but just want to throw out a couple things here. Firstly, have you seen about Fibershed yet? Secondly, there is a lot of issues relating to this but in my opinion the biggest thing is that people, everywhere not just in the USA, have to learn why they should care about where things come from and why just buying the thing they want that is the cheapest isn't the best answer. right now the biggest stumbling block is knowledge to the people in a way that catches their attention and efficiently explains why this is important.
Pretty ironic that everything is tripped up on knowledge in the age where knowledge is the most easily and freely accessible that it's ever been.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
right now the biggest stumbling block is knowledge to the people in a way that catches their attention and efficiently explains why this is important.
Pretty ironic that everything is tripped up on knowledge in the age where knowledge is the most easily and freely accessible that it's ever been.
Easy and quickly accessible 'knowledge' is only and exactly that, easy and quick, but it is, very much like the products you speak of, not always the best 'thing' to acquire, and very often, worse than no information at all. Most anything acquired quickly and easily is just information, and should never be mistaken for knowledge. You can get a lot of information without gaining an ounce of knowledge.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing
drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
there, shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
and drinking largely sobers us again.”

Alexander Pope, An Essay on Criticism, 1709

Last edited:

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Information is the beginning of that knowledge though for without that information or mind has no basis for said knowledge. Even though finding that information is quick and easy however, people have no WILL to look or understand it. We live in an age of instant gratification. If it takes a bit of time and effort to aquire something then it's not worth it.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Even though finding that information is quick and easy however, people have no WILL to look or understand it. We live in an age of instant gratification. If it takes a bit of time and effort to aquire something then it's not worth it.
I fully agree with that statement, and one has to look no farther than some/many of the pages of this very board to see weekly examples of it in effect. Ignorance is a natural aspect of life but light can easily be shone on knowledge to dispel ignorance. If a person willfully chooses to turn off the light or shield their eyes from it, then instead of knowledge, stupidity has replaced ignorance.

Back to the original topic tho, I snapped these pics at a regional chain gro store this Christmas season:
Picture1224180914_1[994].jpg

The ribs weighed just over 2 lbs and the bottom cut weighed just over 4 lbs.
5 ft away, USDA choice Ribeye roast was significantly cheaper