I'm not crazy.... right??

Gone Country

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Other people bring goats, bottle babies (about 2 and a half weeks old now), in the house right? My husband thinks I've lost my mind because I brought my little ones inside this morning. :gig

Yesterday was a little storm here.. nothing too bad. About 10min of downpour rain and gusty winds. They had their little shelter that I had to go shove them in and then they stayed in there. Well this morning around 6:30am I woke up to serious downpour and thunder and lightning. I checked on the kids and they were standing in the rain screaming their little heads off, shivering, and all soaking wet. Bless their little hearts!

So I found a large cardboard box and duct tape the side so the box was taller to keep them jumping out. Got that in my kitchen with the kids in it. My DH just said looked at me shaking his head like I've fallen off my rocker. LOL I told him, I can't just leave them out there. The little boy was shakey and shivering.. both soaked down to the bone all wet. So now they are in my kitchen, getting dry and warm. :D

crazy4cochins

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
:love that's ok tell your DH that if they get all soaking wet, they can catch a cold and then you'd have to go take them to the doctor and get some meds and that it will cost more in the long run.
It's alot easier to just bring them in while they are small.
This winter I had a suicidal chicken who was my office buddy!
My DH and my whole family would all laugh and make fun of me.
I don't care I love my animals like my kids. That's why God made women the mothers! but when I have my baby goats if I need to you better beileve they'll be inside if there's a bad storm.

Rockytopsis

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Please read with a smile on your face.

First of all, yes you are crazy, we all are, we have goats and we love them.

That being said, I have had baby goats in the house for up to 3 weeks. 3 at one time and the last time just 1. When they start jumping out of their box they go to the barn.

Dear DH, 2 1/2 weeks is a little young to be left out in the pouring rain when Mom and Dad are in the house high and dry. LOL When they get a little older and wiser ( that last part said with a big "yeah right") they will learn to get in their shelter out of the rain.

I sort of promise.

Nancy

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
well, like, YEAH, you bring them in. they don't have anyone else to show them how to get in out of the rain. guess DH can go show them how next time it rains!!!!

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:)
I was worried about mine when we had that weird June storm. The goat pen was here when we bought the house, we just added part of a wall & gate. I'm surprised it stays so dry. It has a slant roof, wood wall to about 3' and then wire from the wood to the roof (about 6' on the high side). They stayed nice & dry, but I'm wondering about when those winter horizontal rains come. :)

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My friends say when they come to my house, they never know how many goat kids are inside. My bottle babies stay in the house until they are a month old, running all over the place with their diapers on, except at night when they are in their box. My mini poodle is the babysitter for them and lets me know where they are when I can't find them. :) Of course we goat people are "crazy"!

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Not crazy at all (or maybe completely crazy, but admitting it might imply that I'm also crazy and I'm not ready to admit that), I think the longest I kept one in was 10 weeks. Current baby is 9 weeks and still comes in to be fed.