I'm woolin' it!

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Found a video that explains most of it.
Then another video for the yarn with "bulbs" of yarn.
Definitely need a different flyer setup for both.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ah, that's what you were getting at. Missed that.
I could add hooks/loops to the wheel's handle near the rear.
Would probably need several that zig zag to add drag/tension, though, right?
That part I don't know. I think adding additional loops would increase tension/drag. Could put them zig zag like you said, but make sure you can rotate them to increase/decrease the tension/drag. Shouldn't be too difficult to use eye bolts, they make small ones for home improvement projects.

I don't even have a spinning wheel yet, although I was eyeing a Singer treadle one on Craigslist. Have to have agreement from the boyfriend in order to transport it though. :( I've been watching lots of YouTube videos to get ideas and try to learn. I will probably make my own lazy Kate and niddy noddy in the spring. I'm totally stealing your idea with the PVC frame to dry the yarn. I have a drop spindle but need more wool to practice with. Maybe I should put that on my Christmas list.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
That part I don't know. I think adding additional loops would increase tension/drag. Could put them zig zag like you said, but make sure you can rotate them to increase/decrease the tension/drag. Shouldn't be too difficult to use eye bolts, they make small ones for home improvement projects.

I don't even have a spinning wheel yet, although I was eyeing a Singer treadle one on Craigslist. Have to have agreement from the boyfriend in order to transport it though. :( I've been watching lots of YouTube videos to get ideas and try to learn. I will probably make my own lazy Kate and niddy noddy in the spring. I'm totally stealing your idea with the PVC frame to dry the yarn. I have a drop spindle but need more wool to practice with. Maybe I should put that on my Christmas list.

I made a niddy noddy out of pvc. Two T fittings, 4 short pipe sections and one long pipe for center. Pvc is stiffer than cpvc, not sure on price difference, but the interior diameter is different. The cpvc fits the wheel snugly, while the pvc is slightly too narrow to fit at all. But the wrist twisting was tiring for me.
The rectangular frame, I just use 3 fingers on each side to spin it.

I can take one frame apart, or use extra sections I have lying around, and stick one pipe onto my wheel to take up the yarn from the bobbin for its wet setting. Put the pipe with yarn onto the metal rod to then wrap the moist yarn onto the frame. Take apart frame to easily twist the bundle up and into freezer for a week.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Compresses to less than half a cm.
Hmm, I can't imagine how much it takes to make a felted saddle pad! Wowza.
Pretty to look at & feel, though. Almost done, two bobbins left of this stuff, maybe a smidge more. All longer, wispy stuff. :)
20191209_133508.jpg
20191209_133524.jpg

Line a coat with that and you'd never be cold, huh?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Done with all the messy yarn, the last two are real thin and one still needs to be spun up, then will chain ply them, since there isn't a 3rd bobbin of it.

Totally forgot I have a covered porch...Makes sense, since in summer, I'm using the sun as well as wind to dry & there's no sun in the porch!
Couldn't keep waiting for all the rain to stop, so, wrapped each around my arm and tossed out to dry.
20191210_145538.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just read through this thread and I am impressed by your level of skills with your sheep wool. It makes me wish that I knew how to knit. I think you are doing great.

I use dryer balls. They help keep some of the clothes from wrinkling as bad. I can’t use dryer sheets for static, the wool balls help with static too. Maybe you should make some to sell.

Latest posts