I'm woolin' it!

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don’t mean to barge in on the thread...but this whole process seems like an awful lot of work!! Is it very profitable? I’m trying to keep up with those figures, but they read like Chinese to me, since I don’t have sheep, at this point. So, you shear...then separate, then comb, then wash? I would imagine an awful lot of wool is needed to make up a pound. How many sheep do you have? If you have good clippers, and get the gist of it after awhile...how long does it take to shear? Ok, I’ll let you get back to it. The yarn is gorgeous!! I used to knit...back before farming! :lol:

It is.

Hand processed is expensive yarn. Mill is cheaper.

I do it mostly to kill time.
I try to sell off as many fleeces as possible each spring. And this year, I will not be keeping any fleece for myself. All will be sold raw or washed & shipped out to be turned into yarn & then sold.

I have a few fleeces in the house that are washed or roving & I'm debating either selling it off or mailing it to be turned into yarn, then sold.

Depending on how well that turns out, I'll do that yearly & only keep 1-2 fleeces to mess with myself.

I hire a professional shearer. Way too much work, need several blades ready to swap out & be mailed out to be resharpened yearly.

I have 30 sheep currently. A few of the fleeces may be trashed because of shipping stress making it too weak to use.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Curious that the 20" to OH is so much different than the 12".
Was this UPS, FedEx or USPS?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Listed the three different grey yarn bundles for sale in destashing FB groups.
Need to get pictures of the two white yarns & Billy roving & will list them as well.
Would like it all sold before April!

Leaves me Corriedale fleece, Kris carded, Krillin roving & Majin tuffs to deal with until 2021!

Last edited:

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
9 pounds of yarn that's gotta go!
20200216_162715.jpg

Latest posts