important question

hoosiergal

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Is it normal to see some blood coming from mama doe on the 7th day after birth?

dhansen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes, that is very normal. It does seem strange, but that's when the mama gets rid off all the extra "stuff" in there.

greenfamilyfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes, it's normal after she kids. Some does may have discharge for 2 weeks or longer after kidding. If it gets nasty looking, you can wash it off with warm water, or trim it off with a pair of clippers.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's not uncommon for them to have what I can only describe as a "gritty discharge" for several days after kidding..

When you say blood, though...how much are we talking? Is it dripping, or just kinda staining the tail? Is it bright red? Dark, stringy, clotty..is there mucus with it...? Is there a foul odor or anything like that?

At just a week post-partum, though, I probably wouldn't be particularly surprised or worried about a little blood. Even though I'm a dude, I can still appreciate the fact that the ol' vajayjay has indeed taken quite a beating. :gig ( :hide )

If it were me, I'd probably just keep an eye out to make sure she doesn't start to go a little "off" or anything, which could indicate a uterine infection or something of that nature.

hoosiergal

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
It's not uncommon for them to have what I can only describe as a "gritty discharge" for several days after kidding..

When you say blood, though...how much are we talking? Is it dripping, or just kinda staining the tail? Is it bright red? Dark, stringy, clotty..is there mucus with it...? Is there a foul odor or anything like that?

At just a week post-partum, though, I probably wouldn't be particularly surprised or worried about a little blood. Even though I'm a dude, I can still appreciate the fact that the ol' vajayjay has indeed taken quite a beating. :gig ( :hide )

If it were me, I'd probably just keep an eye out to make sure she doesn't start to go a little "off" or anything, which could indicate a uterine infection or something of that nature.
Not large amounts and looks kind of stringy/clotty.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much. So long as she's not dripping bright red or having a foul discharge or anything...and the doe's acting normally otherwise...I'd say she's fine.

:)

hoosiergal

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much. So long as she's not dripping bright red or having a foul discharge or anything...and the doe's acting normally otherwise...I'd say she's fine.

:)
she seems fine, eating, drinking and guarding that baby.:clap:clap