In Case of Emergency ~ Sheep

WildTurkey

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
so a quick follow up, since Ginger my Katadihn sheep is slowly getting fattened up before fall and winter .. it still seems she is laying down waay too much and I notice she has some issues with walking too...
My guess she has issues with the joints of her frontlegs ... we have so many gophers on pasture that I am afraid she may have stepped in it ..
I have looked into supplementing her with Glucosamine HCl but not quite sure where to get it and if it is alright to give her human grade supplement ..
I also have LiquidHealth K9 Glucosamine that I give to my 13 year old yellow lab ... of course it says its only for dogs ... but just wonder if I could use it for Ginger too

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Usually, something as common as the supplement you mention, the "xxx only" is because they didn't test their product on other species. And/or the carrier method isn't best.

Look at ingredients. If nothing you don't recognize it's probably that reason for limitations they list. If my goat, nothing strange in ingredients, I'd use it. Human brands, yep I'd use that too.

Remember, being ruminants, goats regurge. You may want to consider using either as a drench for better effects.

WildTurkey

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Usually, something as common as the supplement you mention, the "xxx only" is because they didn't test their product on other species. And/or the carrier method isn't best.

Look at ingredients. If nothing you don't recognize it's probably that reason for limitations they list. If my goat, nothing strange in ingredients, I'd use it. Human brands, yep I'd use that too.

Remember, being ruminants, goats regurge. You may want to consider using either as a drench for better effects.
thank you, I started with a teaspoon of turmeric and 1/8 tsp of black pepper capsules (homemeade) and she ate those without any problems. Will see how that goes ... thanks for the drench option .... totally helpful indeed :)