In heat already???

new2cows

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a miniature Zebu cow that just calved 4 weeks ago today and I'm wondering if it's possible for a cow to go in heat this quick? The reason I'm thinking she might be going into heat is because she has been a very quiet cow since I've owned her which is about 3 months now and have only heard her moo maybe 3 or 4 times since I've owned her and tonight she has moo-ed about 10 times. She isn't looking ill and is eating well. When I got home from work today she saw me after a few minutes and stood at the fence and moo-ed a couple times so I gave her a couple pears from the tree and after she ate them she started her moo-ing again. Just to let you know she was a skiddish cow but for the past few weeks I've been visiting her more often in the evenings trying to bond and make her a friendlier cow. She's not unfriendly just very wary of humans. I couldn't even get to within 10 feet of her a month ago but now if I sit and feed her pears I can now pet and scratch her and she follows me around when doing chores in her stall and small pasture.. Any feedback would be very appreciated. :)

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's possible she could be coming into heat. Don't try breeding her for a couple more heat cycles. Is she still nursing the calf? If not, that's likely why she's coming early.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not unusual for a cow to come into heat this early after calving, even if she's got a calf at side (I've heard cows coming in heat a little earlier when they've no calf at side), but at this point the heat cycles will be very irregular: she may have this heat now, then she may not have another heat until a week later, or over several months later. JHM is right about not breeding her for the next couple of months, this is because she needs the time to get back to normal cycling and let her uterus fully involute (shrink back) before breeding her again.

new2cows

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, and believe me I need it, She was a lot quieter this evening. I'll have to spend more time watching her as far as feeding the calf goes, I've been too busy with work and chores to notice but will make an effort to pay more attention whether she is nursing the calf or not. The calf is as lively as ever so I'm assuming she is still nursing him tho.
I'll keep you posted. thanks again...
:)