In Memory of Addy

Lanthanum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Guys, I have some pretty bad news. As you know, Bonnie was pregnant, and I wasn't sure on my doe, Scout. I also stated how my doe Addy was being VERY lethargic and sickly.

Bonnie: The good news here, Bonnie and her new baby Nonna are doing great. Perfect angels of health. Nonna is only one month old but she is already weaning herself, she relys mostly on grass, feed and water, and I rarely see her suckle.

Scout: As I suspected, she was indeed pregnant. She had a doeling, however, it was born very premature. It hadn't begun life before it was born. Scout is doing fine though.

Addy: Her previous owner told me she had never been bred, however, this was proven wrong. She was carrying twins from one of the previous owners bucks, but they were too born very premature. The boy and girl hadn't even developed hooves, just little yellow pockets of gel on their feet. Addy is currently in a critical state, unable to move. The second baby was formed wrong and got stuck in her. I managed to pull her out. My mother had left for work shortly after she had birthed the first baby and she assumed this was the only one. I came home from school, six hours later, and Addy was still in labor with the stuck kid. Addy couldn't even lift her head. I got out and buried the second kid, but Addy is still very sickly. I managed to get her some water, but her breathing is labored and she cannot move. Will she be okay? I feel so bad for her. I would hate to have to put her down, the kids were beautiful and she is a valuable doe, very close to my heart. Will she be alright? She birthed the second kid 30 minutes ago.

Why did both does birth prematurely? Milk had not even begun to form in their udders. Is something wrong with my herd?

Lanthanum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
IMG_4668.JPG
She is currently resting in my lap, still unable to move much

Lanthanum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I don't have an on call vet, and I am home alone, no one is able to drive me with her to the vet. She hasn't passed afterbirth yet, and she hasn't eaten anything but I don't expect her to soon. She seems like she is in a lot of pain

Lanthanum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Is there anything I can do for her here? I am staying with her right now

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
She needs to be able to pass afterbirth
She should be seen by the vet. She may need antibiotics or flushed.

offer some molasses in warm water and see if she will drink it- this may give her enough boost to get up

we just dump the far upside down into a water bucket probably 1/4 cup
stir

There are many reasons for premature labor but I would be looking closely at her parasite level- what do the inner membranes of the lower eyelid look like? What color?
Nutritional deficiencies are also a big factor