In the real world news today Thurs, November 29 2018

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
NO POLITICS!
I will, but probably not daily, post interesting news stories here.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...s-carjacker-steals-car-kids-inside/760671002/

A woman pulled a gun from her glove compartment and shot a carjacker in the head as he drove away in her SUV with her and her two toddlers inside in North Texas.

The incident took place late Wednesday night at a Dallas-area Shell Station, police said, when the suspect, identified as 36-year-old Rickey Wright, approached the vehicle. The mother, Michelle Booker-Hicks, was out of the car paying for gas while her 2- and 4-year old sons sat in the vehicle's back seats, Dallas' Fox 4 reported.

Before she returned from the store, the mother saw a man enter her vehicle and attempt to flee, per CBS 11. But before he drove away, the mother jumped into the back of the car herself.

Booker-Hicks told the man to stop, she told Fox 4, before reaching over to the vehicle's glove compartment and retrieving the gun inside. She fired a single shot to his face, she said.

“I’m not a killer, but I do believe in defending what’s mine,” she told Fox 4. “I hope that woke him up.”

Yep, I reckon he is woke now.
DMWT

Last edited:

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
what I don't get is that he was only charged with unlawful restraint and unauthorized use of motor vehicle. WHAT ABOUT ATTEMPTED KIDNAPPING???

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Primarily, because unlawful restraint is easier to prove in court.
Remember too, that in Texas (and I presume some other states) the State of Texas recognizes your vehicle to be part and parcel to your 'castle".
If you or your kids are abducted FROM your home (or vehicle) only then is it kidnapping. If they forcefully confine you within your home or vehicle, (or a place of business or your job) then it is unlawful restraint.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like this could have went way different. I agree. Keep arms on person.

It very well could have Dave, and I am glad she had the intuitive thought process to jump in the car. Too often I hear, or read of people who attempt to thwart this kind of thing by standing in FRONT of the vehicle...never a good idea.

It is possible, she had no concealed carry permit and therefore didn't have a weapon on her person. Most convenient stores around here have a sign on the door saying it is illegal to enter the store armed, as they usually sell alcohol and it is illegal to have a weapon in any place that does sell booze.

I never, leave my keys in the ignition when entering any place of business, and especially at the gas pumps. It's pretty common to have 'people' hanging around convenient stores and they do often steal vehicles exactly that way.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Indiana carrying permit/personal protection permit allows you to open carry or concealed. Post offices, schools, and other federal institutions are the only definitive off limit areas for firearms. Of course a lot of businesses lately including hospitals have their warnings up of no firearms on premises. If found to have one at those locations, one would be asked to leave and would be subject to trespassing.

If one has no permit, to carry legally between abodes, firearm has to be unloaded and if ammunition is present, stored in a separate area of tbe car.

Restrictions are getting a little ridiculous for the legally armed citizen. Even as a pastor, I carry a majority of the time. Probably my law enforcement background. I want to be able to protect my family or innocents around me in public as this world keeps getting crazier. We have even tightened entrance to the church, have sentinels at main entrances that conceal carry, and those on the rotation often conceal carry in the Sanctuary when not assigned to post. Trying to be proactive rather than reactive.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Restrictions are getting a little ridiculous for the legally armed citizen. Even as a pastor, I carry a majority of the time. Probably my law enforcement background. I want to be able to protect my family or innocents around me in public as this world keeps getting crazier. We have even tightened entrance to the church, have sentinels at main entrances that conceal carry, and those on the rotation often conceal carry in the Sanctuary when not assigned to post. Trying to be proactive rather than reactive.
Agree! The ones who want to break the law will find ways no matter how tough the restrictions are. The restrictions just make it tougher for law abiding citizens to protect themselves and their families.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
NO POLITICS!
I will, but probably not daily, post interesting news stories here.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...s-carjacker-steals-car-kids-inside/760671002/

A woman pulled a gun from her glove compartment and shot a carjacker in the head as he drove away in her SUV with her and her two toddlers inside in North Texas.

The incident took place late Wednesday night at a Dallas-area Shell Station, police said, when the suspect, identified as 36-year-old Rickey Wright, approached the vehicle. The mother, Michelle Booker-Hicks, was out of the car paying for gas while her 2- and 4-year old sons sat in the vehicle's back seats, Dallas' Fox 4 reported.

Before she returned from the store, the mother saw a man enter her vehicle and attempt to flee, per CBS 11. But before he drove away, the mother jumped into the back of the car herself.

Booker-Hicks told the man to stop, she told Fox 4, before reaching over to the vehicle's glove compartment and retrieving the gun inside. She fired a single shot to his face, she said.

“I’m not a killer, but I do believe in defending what’s mine,” she told Fox 4. “I hope that woke him up.”

Yep, I reckon he is woke now.
DMWT

Ricky Wright played a stupid game and got a stupid prize.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
She was FORCED to shoot him in the head? I think it would be more correct to say she chose to shoot him in the head. I wonder how fast the car was going when she shot him. Could have been ugly if he involuntarily stomped the gas and ran the car out into traffic when he was shot.

Latest posts