In the real world news today Thurs, November 29 2018

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Juries tend to work on about 10% evidence and 90% emotion. It's why the judge has to instruct them to avoid emotion and consider only the presented evidence; an instruction which juries very rarely bother to listen to, much less adhere to.

Had that trial been held in the Midwest, I suspect very much, the results would have been different.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is actually a day late, the Real World News for Aug 17, 2018 is actually a tweet from a NHC meteorologist named Eric Blake.
harvtweet1.jpg

As it happened to Texas, hour by hour:
(watch the date and hour change at lower left)

http://andrew.rsmas.miami.edu/bmcnoldy/tropics/harvey17/Harvey_25-31Aug17_regional.gif

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
In the Real World News Today, (well, not actually 'today' or even this month) in a shocking development, a woman gives birth to twins right at the checkout counter of a brick and mortar store..somewhere.
Combined weight of the newborns was about 60 lbs!!

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:epthat's what I was thinking when I saw two of them. I know most of the weight was supported by the wrap but still.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
In the Real World News Today, Sept 2 2018 is.weather. The wet, salty, windy kind.
https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/91L-Likely-Become-Gulf-Mexico-Tropical-Cyclone-Tuesday

91L Likely to Become a Gulf of Mexico Tropical Cyclone by Tuesday
Invest91L is what this wave is currently being called.
Here's where it is, and where it is 'thought' to be going:

Thunderstorm activity associated with a tropical wave located
between north-central Cuba and the central Bahamas is gradually
becoming better organized, and upper-level winds are also becoming
more favorable. A tropical depression is likely to form during the
next day or so while the system moves west-northwestward across the
northwestern Bahamas, southern Florida, and the Florida Keys. The
system is forecast to emerge over the southeastern Gulf of Mexico by
early Tuesday and move toward the north-central Gulf Coast Tuesday
night and Wednesday. This system will produce locally heavy rains
and gusty winds across the central and northwestern Bahamas,
southern Florida, and the Florida Keys during the next day or two. A
tropical storm watch could be issued for portions of the northern
Gulf Coast tonight. Interests in these areas should monitor the
progress of this system. There is a high chance for tropical cyclone
formation within 48 hours.

in91L.jpg

A different look at it's future:
91L2.jpg

Who else (besides coastal Louisiana) may it affect this week?
Lots of folks:
91L3.jpg

And, as a reminder:

The latest rainfall guidance from the National Weather Service predicts that 91L will bring widespread rainfall amounts of 5" to the U.S. Gulf Coast. The coast along the Texas/Louisiana border is already experiencing heavy rains due to a separate weather system; some areas had already gotten 3" of rain by Sunday afternoon, according to the NWS in Lake Charles. From the NWS in Houston: "Our local flash flood decision tree is indicating a high risk of flash flooding with maximum rainfall totals by Monday evening between 8-10 inches. What is worrisome is that the TT WRF is showing a boundary and training cells over Galveston/Brazoria and southern Harris counties Monday morning (09-18z). A Flash Flood Watch will be required tonight and Monday for a large part of SE TX."

More African waves to watch this week
The African tropical wave factory will kick out at least two more systems worth monitoring this week, with the European model showing the potential for development of new tropical waves emerging from the coast on Monday and on Thursday. It’s that time of year!

It's just a big poop samich and some of us just gonna have to take a bite of it........again.

Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
In The Real World news Today, something is killing Kentucky livestock.....3 ponies and a dog.
https://www.wbko.com/content/news/N...led-three-ponies-dog-on-Sunday-492442851.html

Sounds a bit suspicious with conflicting reports regarding what Ky wildlife dept did or did not say.

MONROE COUNTY, Ky. (WBKO) -- Questions still linger after three ponies and one dog were killed in Monroe County in the early morning hours on Sunday. The Department of Fish and Wildlife assisted the Monroe County Sheriff's Office with the investigation.

monroe+county+update00000000.jpg

Now, both agencies have varying views on what or who was responsible for the attack.

On Sunday, the Denton's, Sheriff Ford and even the biologist on scene, noticed peculiar animal footprints, but not enough to make a conclusive determination as to what kind of animal it was.

The following day, Fish and Wildlife told 13 News that "the animals' wounds are inconsistent with a large predator attack." They said they did not have conclusive answers as to what caused the attack at this time.

"We're devastated that's all we can say," said Janet Denton, owner of the ponies and dog that died Sunday.

It's been two days since the Denton's lost their four animals.

"We have had the animals buried at this point for the simple fact that they were deteriorating and we had to bury them," said Denton.

Still, the question remains -- who or what is responsible for their deaths.

"We've got cameras out hoping to catch some pictures and we made the community aware of what's going on for their safety," said Sheriff Dale Ford with the Monroe County Sheriff's Office.

The answer to that question stirring up a lot of controversy in this small town -- as Kentucky fish and wildlife sent me this statement saying “A wild animal played no role in the deaths of three horses killed in Monroe County"

"How they come to that conclusion? asked Denton.

The owner of the animals, as well as the sheriff, don't seem to agree with fish and wildlife.

"Fish and wildlife sent three people down here. They took pictures like we did. There was no DNA taken, no blood samples, no tissue no hair samples," said Sheriff Ford.

Fish and Wildlife said "Investigators reached their conclusion after a careful evaluation of the wounds and the scene. A husky found dead nearby suffered no visible wounds."

Denton said she's been ridiculed on social media -- even accused.

"What's the motive? What do we have to gain from any of this besides a financial loss?"

While Department of Fish and Wildlife, the sheriff's office is keeping all options open.

"I want people to understand that I'd rather by made a fool of and it be nothing than someone get hurt or killed and me not let them know," said Sheriff Ford. "My priority is the safety of the people of Monroe County."

Sheriff Ford says Fish and Wildlife reached out to him, and asked that they update their Facebook post to say the animals suffered apparent gunshot wounds. Kentucky's Fish and Wildlife statement does not say anything about gunshot wounds.

another article, with a little different info:
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018...ssibly-killed-by-large-cat-officials-say.html

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
In The Real World news Today, something is killing Kentucky livestock.....3 ponies and a dog.
https://www.wbko.com/content/news/N...led-three-ponies-dog-on-Sunday-492442851.html

Sounds a bit suspicious with conflicting reports regarding what Ky wildlife dept did or did not say.

monroe+county+update00000000.jpg

another article, with a little different info:
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018...ssibly-killed-by-large-cat-officials-say.html

This is about 2.5 hrs from me. There’s reports of cougar on game cams less than 30 miles away so I could definitely see one being in that area.