In the real world news today Thurs, November 29 2018

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:idunnoI've been eating raw hamburger since I was a knee high lad standing at mom's side watching her to learn how to cook. Give or take 50 years or so. I started cooking before I was 10 yrs old... Cooked my first entire thanksgiving meal with all the trimmings at ~13. Mom was sick and nobody else to do it. Mom always took a small sample, sprinkled a little salt and tossed it into her mouth. I've done the same, basically all my life. Never had anything bad happen from it that I'm aware of. Yes, there's always a first time, but that can be said about getting run over while walking across a street... I have gotten food poisoning from eating at restaurants, but never from my own kitchen/food/cooking. Don't really see how the danger is all that much greater compared to eating rare cooked beef, or even medium rare that's red in the center. Or eating sushi... :idunno

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
don't you think that if someone doesn't have any more sense than eat raw turkey or chicken they should sort of expect a little salmonella or e-coli. I realize the same could be said for raw beef but like @Latestarter I have eaten raw beef for the better part of 60 years am still kickin', I want my steak to beller when i stick a fork in it but in that same 60 years I have never snacked on raw chicken or turkey. makes my mouth sweat just thinking about it. sushi, yup I can do that and smile.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else but I can say that, back when I was much younger, I are very undercooked (read barely warm) hamburger meat. I don't the next hour in the latrine with my bowels confused about what came out of which end. Everyone who eats raw meat has stomachs of steal. This stomach learned it's lesson lol. Charcoal for me please! Lol:D

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
dysentery, sitting on the toilet while 'stuff' comes out both ends, is definite not fun, especially when it lasts very long at all.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Grandad & I ate raw ground beef & onion sandwiches. And I still taste raw ground … like my steaks, on the rare side... but, NO raw poultry. BAD taste. NO fish. I don't like it cooked, so never raw. Pork needs to be well cooked. I run the chance on the beef but, I've never had a problem. Clean handling helps.

So, I drink my goat milk raw, also. Eggs MUST be cooked dry, I hate the loose yolk, etc. Scramble or squish and fry hard. :D =D

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pork needs to be well cooked.
Your taste? Used to be you could get trichinosis from commercial pork so it had to be cooked well done. But that is a thing of the past and medium, even a bit medium rare is OK.

Never had anything bad happen from it that I'm aware of.
We'll just blame whatever health issues you have now on eating a bit of raw ground beef for 50 years :D

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the trichinosis threat has pretty well been eliminated and pork at medium vice cooked to the consistency/taste/texture of a piece of wood, is sooooooo much better. I like taking a thinner pork chop, frozen, and broiling it with a little season salt on it then picking it up and eating it right off the bone medium-medium rare. :drool I really like all my "red" meats cooked medium or less depending on animal. (I consider pork a red meat). White meats need to be fully cooked; poultry, seafood, shellfish...