In Your Opinion

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So, I am not a goat expert, and I have only had a few over the years. But someone please tell me in your opinion, am I wrong in thinking this goat is in rough shape (to say it lightly) and probably not 2 years old? I can't believe these people asking $150 or trade...thumbnail (click to enlarge)....

goar.png

U B Ewe

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So, I am not a goat expert, and I have only had a few over the years. But someone please tell me in your opinion, am I wrong in thinking this goat is in rough shape (to say it lightly) and probably not 2 years old? I can't believe these people asking $150 or trade...thumbnail (click to enlarge)....

View attachment 76423
Yes, this goat is in very poor condition. The owner can ask any price they chose. But you can also offer them a price or deal that you feel is fair.
The photo does not give any indication as to what is causing this. If you are contemplating acquiring her have a veterinary familiar with goats check her before you bring her home. If you do bring her home have a quarantine pen set up in a location away from your other livestock.
There are many things that could be causing her poor condition. Some are treatable and some are not. It may be something as simple as lack of good feed, water, and shelter or ingesting say a plastic bag/twine, or worse an incurable disease that could infect your other livestock.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you thinking of buying her? I would not buy her. Her thin condition could be from parasites, starvation, disease, etc. Or she could just be "unthrifty". For that price I think you could pick up something in better condition. If you re interested in her, call and ask about her papers, breed, many many years she has freshened, how many kids she has produced, etc. Also ask about CAE tests, and vaccinations. The answers will tell you if you need to stay far away from this goat.

I would give her a pass. She is advertised as a "Spanish goat" but with her coloring she looks like a Boer. Since they are offering to trade for any other livestock they are obviously not goat breeders and may not know that she is a Boer or Boer cross.

As far as her conformation, she is too short bodied for either a Boer or dairy animal. She does not look deep enough in the rumen either for a 2 year old doe, although the picture is taken looking down on her.

I would stay away from this doe, but if you are really interested in her, offer half or less. You will have to spend a lot in feed and meds to get her looking good. She may have other health issues too that can't be cured. If you decide to look at her make your offer dependent on a vet's certificate. Don't pay anything without the vet's ok.