Incubation question

JeepGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My duck laid her 1st egg yesterday (yay).

So, now I'm wondering...if I leave an egg sitting on my counter for a few days (7 days max) before incubation, with no heat or extra care, will it still be able to hatch?
And if at the time of candling, I find there's no development, is the egg still ok for consumption?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Probably and probably! :) Don't really know duck eggs - but in chicken eggs I'd give you the same answer. Lots of folks never refrigerate eggs - and some folks have even successfully incubated store bought refrigerated eggs.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you leave it on the counter for longer than 5 or 7 days, it is best to rotate it every so often. With rotating it, and keeping it cool-ish (I think the ideal is 45-60F, but I can't remember for sure), you will still have excellent hatching success up to 2 weeks. After 2 weeks, success rates decrease, but do not goto zero.

My personal cut-off is 3 weeks. Those still hatch pretty well.

As to eating it. .. :sick after incubating for more than a day I would be scared to....

But, whatever....I am sure if it was going to make you sick you would probably be able to smell stink once you cracked it....so go for it. :)

JeepGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses yall!
Development does not begin until incubation, correct?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Development starts at incubation, that is correct. It is so hot in my coop right now that I think the eggs would start incubation just sitting there. Actually it is probably too hot. 114°... I would not eat the egg that has not developed. You probably could...but I couldn't. :sick

JeepGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Development starts at incubation, that is correct. It is so hot in my coop right now that I think the eggs would start incubation just sitting there. Actually it is probably too hot. 114°... I would not eat the egg that has not developed. You probably could...but I couldn't. :sick

Yyyeah, maybe not lol.
It's so cold in NC...49° when I left work this morning. What a Summer.

Latest posts