Inexpensive calf housing

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Some who would like to raise calves have trouble with housing. Here is what we have done and it's is relatively cheap. Most definately cheaper than hutches.
calfpensfront.jpg

calfpenside.jpg

The gates are just leaning up there and not part of it.

It's made of 6 cattle panels and then the plywood sides and back with a metal roof. Originally this was suppose to be a temporary thing so we had used som 2x's across the top with scrap plywood and then wrapped the top and back half in a huge canvas. But, we were impressed with it and still needed the room so we made it more permanant.

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
hey there, i read somewhere that you can use flat's to make a coral by slipping them over post. can it work to make a chute, just far like if the vet has to come out or something?????:)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you can secure them good and solid it should. Remember a shute will take more of a beating than a corral. I would becareful of what type of flats/skids you use though so they don't have big gaps the cattle can get their feed and legs in.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Until they come of milkreplacer-about 2 months old. Sometimes they stay longer depending on the grouping they would be going into. I have pulled a panel in the middle back some and put 2-3 calves in the resulting pen with a watertub and their hay and grain.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Those are small calves that are still on milk replacer. It is easier to feed them and they can't suck on each other when separate. Sucking is not a good thing. They can cause naval infections, ruin quarters, etc.

Yesterday aft. I took out one of the panels to make a bigger pen. I have 5 that just came off milk replacer in it.
100_2658.jpg