Infected debudding site.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I know it's not real popular these days but it's always been great all my life to boil out the germs....good ol' fashioned peroxide can boil out germs down in a hole like that. It's always worked for man and beast here and Dr. Pol uses is nearly every episode on abscesses.

Another great topical treatment for wounds is another one that has fallen by the wayside....Dakin's solution. We used it for suppurating wounds from cancer treatments in hospice....really controlled the drainage and the odor.

Another thing you can treat it with after boiling it out with peroxide or flushing it with Dakin's is nothing but raw honey....saturate a 2x2 gauze with raw honey, place it on the area, cover with more gauze and vet wrap that in place.

I love Dr Pol and how he tries to fix animals in the easiest ways, plus save the farmers money! I’ve read about, and even used manuka honey on wounds....that’s another vet trick I learned. It also is a fix if an animal has a prolapsed dinger. Never tried it on a female, but used it on my drake duck and worked like a charm!

I would definitely try these ideas @Beekissed gave. She’s given me tons of great advice! :)

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I know it's not real popular these days but it's always been great all my life to boil out the germs....good ol' fashioned peroxide can boil out germs down in a hole like that. It's always worked for man and beast here and Dr. Pol uses is nearly every episode on abscesses.

Another great topical treatment for wounds is another one that has fallen by the wayside....Dakin's solution. We used it for suppurating wounds from cancer treatments in hospice....really controlled the drainage and the odor.

Another thing you can treat it with after boiling it out with peroxide or flushing it with Dakin's is nothing but raw honey....saturate a 2x2 gauze with raw honey, place it on the area, cover with more gauze and vet wrap that in place.

Yes to all of those. Honey especially is an amazing healer. I use diluted bleach on thrushy hooves, and it's what I use for mild rain rot on the horses.

Last edited:

AlleysChicks

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
There's no "hole" to boil out with disbudding - it's a burn. Saline or peroxide to clean it. I wouldn't cover it - it needs to dry out. Hope the vet gives you a good anwer.
I'll find out today. He is usually really great and helpful. We haven't used him in a couple years, he is usually out on the farms doing calls.

AlleysChicks

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Oh and did I mention I was only charged for a partial office visit. So $10 to ease my mind was well worth it.

Latest posts