Infected Navel of Calf

KettletownBrookFarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Someone gave me a calf and it seems to have a infected navel. When i touch under it has liquid, and is sensitive to her when touched. I read a couple different things on how to treat with antibiotics but i was wondering what others have done. This is what i found:
Pro-Pen-G Twice daily for 5 days (but how much) it says 4cc per 100 lbs but she is only 40 lbs
Naxcel Twice daily for 5 days 2cc per 100lbs- It says to give both these Pro-g is IM and Naxcel is SQ. But i dont know the dose bc she is onbly 40 lbs should i just cut in half?

Then i found something saying to give penicilin for 20 days? I dont know about that? ANyone?

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
To figure out doses for these:
Pen G - 4 cc / 100 lbs (dose) = 0.04 cc per lb * 40 lb = 1.6 cc
Naxcel - 2 cc / 100 lbs (dose) = 0.02 cc per lb * 40 lb = 0.8 cc

Not a cattle expert, but 40 lb seems awfully small for a calf. What breed is it?

KettletownBrookFarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Shes a jersey and yes she is extremely tiny, a litle runt she wont be big at all, but they were goingt to put her down so we took her. She eats good though and is active but im worried about the navel. I read that you need a long acting penicilian for a month then i read too do these two for 5 days so im not sure what to do. I called my vet and they wont tell me anything untill i bring her in, even though i just spent 400 on my goats their i dont want to have to go in for every ittle problem (even though this one is more serous i may have to take her tomorrow bc i dont want anything to happen)

she-earl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We occasionally have had a calf with a navel infection. That is rare for us because we dip all navels immediately at birth. However, sometimes problem do arise. Our vet has us double the amount of penicillin usually given because of the type of infection. Their directions to use are to use 2 ml per 100 pounds of weight and to give it once a day for 10 days. That would be .8ml for her. If you don't have a syringe with that small of increments, I would round it to 1 ml.

Latest posts