Info on Meningeal Worm

countrychick95

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any inforamtion on this worm? I know it is carried by deer, and passed in feces where they grow into snails, which the llama may pick up. I also know they can kill llamas. Do I need to vaccinate against it? Does my normal Ivomec wormer take care of it? I live in the middle of deer country, and a friend just lost their son's 4-H llama to it. ANY info would be great!

KellyHM

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Unfortunately there is no vaccine and Ivomec doesn't do anything for it b/c it doesn't cross the blood brain barrier (except in overdoses, and then you get toxicity). The only true prevention is to keep deer out of the field and prevent large snail populations. Here's a pretty good article: http://www.addl.purdue.edu/newsletters/2008/Spring/lama.htm

ETA: I know there are some dewormers that are useful, but can't remember which off the top of my head.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
http://www.shagbarkridge.com/info/menin.html

This is from years ago but as far as I know, still applies.

Ivomec is the prevention. Safeguard is the treatment (if caught early enough).

If you see your llama limping or anything funny in the back end, then treat for meningeal worm. The worst you have done is wormed them really well. The dose for safeguard (liquid) is 1cc per 7 pounds for 5 days.

countrychick95

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Jackson got the worm. I noticed he was walking around funny in his back end, like he was drunk. I called my llama mentor, who said it was the meninga worm. I dosed 10cc of dectomax*** not exactly sure if hats right, 3cc of banamine and safeguard paste 10x the amount needed for a horse. Hes doing better, not worse at least. Hes getting up easier, and started back on his feed. I think he choked the night i cauvht the worm, bacause he acted like he was going to spit, but was just foaming at the mouth and wanting to get away from me. I grabbed him and rubbed his throthroat until he spit it up. It was green and foamy, but he was seriously distressed. He hasnt choked since. How long will it take until hes back to walking normal again?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
It can take a while and you may have to redose the Safeguard. Did you give the Safeguard for 5 days in a row?

Depending on how much damage is done will depend on how well he gets back to normal.

AdoptAPitBull

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I just went through this a few weeks back. I did Safeguard at 5x horse dosage for 6 days. I'm happy to report that you can't even tell anymore that she was once a stumbling, wobbly mess!

countrychick95

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I gave safeguard 3 days in a row, and he seems to be out of it. Still uses hind end differently, but not noticeable to those who don't see him daily. I am going to give more Ivomec a a couple weeks. I have a new guy, so hopefully he stays healthy and neither one get it again. I gave 2 1/2 tubes per day for those 3 days by the way. He tolerated it, but hardly lets me near him now.. Any way to help change that? I don't want him to think humans are bad if I ever need to help him again.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
You are actually supposed to give it for 5 days in a row but hopefully that will take care of it. I would probably do the Safeguard again too.

As far as the llama being upset with you, I would do nice things like offer treats out of your hand.

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I had a question. Are the snails that cause this only on grass..... I have some pasture but this being Fl and us still clearing 10 acres...most of it is sand. The animals on the sand all get covered rolls of coastal.hay free choice in the hayanger. I know there were deer around here...but none now thanks to my GPs. How high a risk do you think those on the sand have....?