INFORMATION FARM WORKSHOPS: CONSIDERING A DIFFERENT APPROACH.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
This has been a very interesting thread to read. We have decided to raise sheep on our 30 acres because our pastures need to be improved, and the weeds they are overgrown with, are enticing to sheep. Also, because we need our ag. exemption, and after running numbers over and over, sheep will bring the profit we need to keep the exemption. I do wish there were seminars that do address smaller acreage holders, say under 30 acres. They are suppose to have an online course about how to make the best of your small acreage in one of the counties near Dallas, but I have not been able to find it yet. I also found out there is a program that will help you with interior fencing for paddocks, and plumbing to bring water to your livestock. They will also pay a portion of drilling a water well for your livestock. The agent at the USDA told me about it.
I have no idea where you are ('location' on your profile area is blank) but many areas in Texas do have an annual seminar, where 3-4 adjacent counties get together with presentations by guest speakers and the extension agents in those counties.
The ones I've attended have been primarily for beef cattle, but focused more on general pasture improvement more than animals themselves.

I know the one out in trans-Pecos/Concho Valley area is more aligned with goat and sheep tho. (I used to live in Tom Green County)

Lots of different short courses available at TAMU and it's satellite campuses.

Last edited:

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you, I will have to look at those courses. We are in Live Oak County. One hour from San Antonio, and a little more from Corpus Christi. We have a Beeville address, we are right on the dividing line between counties. We are out in the middle of nowhere. A twenty minute drive to the nearest town. I am watching to see about seminars in San Antonio, Fredericksburg, or even San Angelo. We were going to raise Dexter cattle, but the numbers, and carrying rate doesn't support them. So sheep, and 1 or 2 stocker calves as my husband calls them are what we will carry.

Latest posts