injured leg/back

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of my 10 week old velveteen lop hurt her back and/or leg. Am guessing she possibly broke her hip... no swelling and she is now eating, drinking, acting ok but not using her leg. I was going to get the culls butchered in 2 or 3 weeks, will she be ok until then? Or should I terminate sooner?
What would you do?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Been a short while since the post. lots of readers but no responders... I know nothing about rabbits. How is she doing? any changes either direction? Has she started using her leg again? Has the leg atrophied at all, or still have blood flow and doing OK?

Dage

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We had a rabbit which broke her back leg. We bandaged it up the best we knew how but it healed crooked. But she got around just fine and even went next door to visit our neighbor upstairs in his apartment upstairs. Really don´t know what to tell you besides that. Is it possible to put it back into joint? How about the vet?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
She's not normal but eats, drinks gets around the cage. Some atrophy. Guessing a break in the pelvis as she's "off" both legs.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had a rabbit which broke her back leg. We bandaged it up the best we knew how but it healed crooked. But she got around just fine and even went next door to visit our neighbor upstairs in his apartment upstairs. Really don´t know what to tell you besides that. Is it possible to put it back into joint? How about the vet?
Not out of joint. Not good enough quality to involve the expense of a vet...

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well, since the main meat is the back legs (right?) would it save $$ to just cull her now rather than feeding & trying to grow her out for meat? I don't know... :hu

Dage

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
poor baby...:hit

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Do the right thing with the rabbit and terminate it now. The cost of a Vet. will be 10-30 time the cost of the rabbit and if it survives, it would be of very limited use and will require special care all of it's life.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
She doesn't seem to be in pain. She's not moving normal but otherwise ok. Decided to keep her around until we cull, then atleast her life will feed another even if it's just a LGD. If I thought she was in pain I would do it sooner.

Latest posts