Injured/sick lamb

Firefly414

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have 2 lambs about 3 weeks old. They are being keep in our garage for safe shelter during wet/cold weather. This morning we woke up to one limping on her back leg. She’s not acting herself, usually very friendly, loves sucking on fingers, but she’s not interested at all. She decreased her feedings as the day went on, her most recent feeding she only drank 1/2oz. They have fresh bedding, free range pellets, and alfalfa hay, fresh water. I did syringe feed her some water that had apple cider vinegar and diatomaceous earth mix in it in hopes it might fight any parasites. Can anyone offer any other suggestions for us? Thanks I’m advance.

Attachments

• 977C0121-D1C6-4A53-9596-0DA32A0A0C02.jpeg
    977C0121-D1C6-4A53-9596-0DA32A0A0C02.jpeg
    333.7 KB · Views: 70

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Where are you located? Are these bottle lambs? What is the selenium level of the ewe?

Firefly414

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We are in Central Texas, yes they are bottle fed, not sure about the ewe. I can try and find out from the previous owner.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
This sounds like these may be your first lambs. I recommend that you get them to the vet ASAP. By the time we muddle around here trying to come up with something that may or may not help, the lamb could be dead. They can go down fast and sometimes everything we can think of won’t save them. Please let us know how they, and you, are doing. If you have any molasses, give some to the lamb. If there is a large animal vet around, go there. A livestock vet will have a better idea than a cat/dog only vet.

Firefly414

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We’ve raised lambs in the past just been awhile, she’s still taking milk just smaller amounts she drank 3oz this morning. She walks around just not actively social like most lambs.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, I just didn’t want your lamb to get worse. Get some sheep nitro-drench, they have it at Tractor Supply. It will help perk her up.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have 2 lambs about 3 weeks old. They are being keep in our garage for safe shelter during wet/cold weather. This morning we woke up to one limping on her back leg. She’s not acting herself, usually very friendly, loves sucking on fingers, but she’s not interested at all. She decreased her feedings as the day went on, her most recent feeding she only drank 1/2oz. They have fresh bedding, free range pellets, and alfalfa hay, fresh water. I did syringe feed her some water that had apple cider vinegar and diatomaceous earth mix in it in hopes it might fight any parasites. Can anyone offer any other suggestions for us? Thanks I’m advance.
It’s been a few days. How is your lamb doing?

Firefly414

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She improved a lot, she’s walking and sometimes running on her leg. She’s consuming milk without have to push her.
She gets tired from too much activity, but rests as needed and is more social too. Today she has started bleating again like her sister! 😊 Thanks for checking and for the recommendations we received.

Latest posts