Injury just above hoof, Now same thing on back leg

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This doe is almost 7 years old. 2 days ago in the evening I noticed her limping. I had the time to really look at her leg last night. The area on her right front leg just above her hoof is swollen and hot to the touch. It made me think of an infection or maybe an abscess? This doe is sold and I am supposed to drop her off at her new home this coming Friday. I want her healthy before I do anything of the sort!

It has rained like crazy here lately and we have had a lot of problems in the area with flooding. But our goat pasture is steep and there is no place for standing water in it... We have kept her confined since we first noticed the limp.
20170428_211007.jpg 20170428_211012.jpg 20170428_211019.jpg

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would shave with a 10 or 15 blade and take a good close look... possibly a sting, bite or small cut... any way shave foot, clean and see what you find.
She may have gotten her foot stuck in something and finally got it out ... :idunno

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree, i'd give it a good cleaning to see what you can find but it does look like she has caught it on or under something. Epson salt soaks work for me and i'm sure it would help her too.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That is good to know as well! I will steal my husbands clippers tomorrow when he isn't looking (he really doesn't want them used on goats!!)...:hide Uhoh... he just read this... I will also give her a good soak in Epsom salts tomorrow! I am really hoping she will be good by Friday when she is supposed to go to her knew home or I will have to delay...

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:yuckyuckExactly! He told me he would buy another trimmer because there is NO WAY he would use the trimmers after they were used on goats!!! So... Any recommendations on goat trimmers?? I will stop and buy some tomorrow, but I want one that can trim for shows as well.... @Southern by choice or @OneFineAcre, what do use to trim for shows?

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Andis trimmers have been recommended to me for show although I haven't bought them yet.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Okay, these are pictures of today after we soaked her leg in Epsom salt. The fur just fell off. It reminded me of rain rot that my horses used to get. I know for a fact that a good strong dose of Ivermec clears up rain rot easily and fast. Can my goat have gotten this in this location after those nasty storms and wet weather from last weekend??? If so, I have Ivomec injectable for cattle and swine, 1%. What is the dose for goats? If memory serves you are supposed give it orally...

The pics aren't the best, the hoof is being held upside down...IMG_1733.jpg IMG_1734.jpg

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Oh, there was minimal swelling in that area. Went down after the salt bath.