Injury to FF Udder

Sunny75

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi,
I know I don't post often, please don't hold it against me. I love this site and am sorry I am not able to participate more. Very sorry, if it seems I only show up when I have a problem (honest I'm here other times, just lurking mostly).

Dolly is a FF La Mancha doe - kidded twins (1 buck, 1 doe) 6 days ago, easy birth, no problems, really good mom.

last night I noticed what looked like a scrape about 1.5 x .5 inches on her udder and thought maybe she was stepped on. It's not deep, surface scrape only, but has taken the top layer of skin right off. we cleaned it up and all seemed ok. Tonight when we brought them in it was significantly larger. her muzzle is bloody so I'm assuming she is licking it. Dolly Udder.jpg

Any ideas on how to
a. stop it from continuing to spread / get her to leave it alone
b. treat it to get it to heal

would be very much appreciated. obviously I can't wrap it. I would normally put salve on a scrape, but not sure that is the best idea given the location and the likelihood of dirt sticking to it. I have blue kote I could spray (she would love that I'm sure). Should I be giving antibiotics for this because of the placement?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ooops I read this last night and thought I had replied.

I am stumped as to how to keep this clean.
Hate to say this but your vet has probably seen this way more times than any of us here... hoping someone has an answer for you but I'd call the vet and ask for suggestions.
Anti-biotics are probably unnecessary.
For now probably clean with iodine and spray fly spray too.

If you come up with something PLEASE share. It will help someone else down the road!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is a tough one, especially if she is licking it. I would keep her in a clean pen and clean it with fresh bedding daily for starters but I am not sure what else you could do. I too would suggest calling the vet.

Sunny75

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies..

I'm not one to call the vet for every little thing, and figured I would try here first. Her mamma gives over a gallon a day at peak and given the size of Dolly's ff udder I expect she will also be a good milker. Given the placement of the rub/scrape/injury, I did call the vet (we are lucky to have a very goat savvy vet(her family raised meat goats growing up) in the area)). She thinks she was probably itching the little bit of afterbirth sticking to her udder (note to self, no matter how much goat objects, thoroughly clean all kidding goo off of goat) and rubbed it, which of course, then bothered her and itched, so she rubbed it some more. sigh...

Vet's instructions : clean it thoroughly, spray with blue-kote to keep it clean and bug free and she suggested rubbing triple anti-biotic ointment on over top of the blue-kote to help soothe the itch. She also said to keep a close eye on the color and watch for mastitis. poor Dolly, she is the quietest, most anti-social goat in the group (really the only one with a take it or leave it attitude when it comes to contact with people). she is not going to like the extra "love" she'll be getting the next few days. ...

She goes out during the day, but we'll change the bedding in her stall daily and while we normally do a "milk share" and don't start milking until the kids are 2 weeks old, I think we will start milking her at least part way out morning and night to take some of the pressure off that udder.

Thank you again. I will let you know if anything changes / how she does.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
That was the same answer everyone here would give lol the real question is HOW to prevent stuff sticking to the ointments. ugh

Sunny75

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Im just hoping the blue kote keeps the wound clean since I'm putting the ointment on over top. I'm more worried abt how to tell if the udder is turning blue/black when I'm spraying it with blue kote:idunno. Relieved that she doesn't seem to think it's super serious though.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't worry about not posting much - quite a few people post in 'spurts', as we have a lot going on sometimes.

I hope your goat heals up ok, I keep picturing a goat wearing one of those collars they use for dogs and cats after surgery! Don't think that would work though...

Sunny75

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I hope your goat heals up ok, I keep picturing a goat wearing one of those collars they use for dogs and cats after surgery! Don't think that would work though...

Lol, now that is a picture. I don't think Dolly would like the cone of shame.. The other girls would probably have fun with it though..

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Be careful with the blue cote, especially if she is licking the area. We see dogs and cats with ulcers in their mouths from licking it.

I would personally use raw honey and giant telfa pads, make a giant bandage with duct tape sticking out around the edges of the telfa, not very much but enough to hold the telfa pad in place with the tape attached to the hair on the normal area around the injury. (Does that make sense???) Not sure if she would leave it on though.