Insane fencing costs?

maritown

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I am NOT a fence contractor. Have enough to do on my own place and too old to do anyone else's anyway.

Ha! No worries, I understand. The extent of my fencing knowledge is minor repairs and putting up woven wire where fence posts were already set. I just mean it's very new to have to think of things in terms of actual planning and utility!

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Woof!
That is nuts!!
I knew NY was pricey in general, but that seems beyond crazy!
Gawd, I would think it would be cheaper for my fence guy to haul up there, rent a hotel, do the work and then haul all his stuff back down for under the first quote! =/

I wonder if anyone further out would be willing to do the job for less, still be high, but less. I wonder that because there was a company at the va/nc border who was willing to drive up and install the fence. He was not much more, but he wanted money up front and I refuse to ever pay anything before supplies are on my land or work begins.

That is another thing to be careful with, especially since you are so far away. Have someone stop by to ensure the work has been started, then pay a small amount.

maritown

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Woof!
That is nuts!!
I knew NY was pricey in general, but that seems beyond crazy!
Gawd, I would think it would be cheaper for my fence guy to haul up there, rent a hotel, do the work and then haul all his stuff back down for under the first quote! =/

I wonder if anyone further out would be willing to do the job for less, still be high, but less. I wonder that because there was a company at the va/nc border who was willing to drive up and install the fence. He was not much more, but he wanted money up front and I refuse to ever pay anything before supplies are on my land or work begins.

That is another thing to be careful with, especially since you are so far away. Have someone stop by to ensure the work has been started, then pay a small amount.

I know right! Grrr. The thing is, Upstate NY is not very expensive! Absolutely everything, barns, land, house has been cheaper than where we are now- NC. That's why I'm so shocked to be getting these outlandish quotes!!

It is so hard to organize from far away! More calls tomorrow I guess....I am thinking I might try PA where they have huge farming communities but honestly I can't imagine anyone will want to make the drive. We still have a month before moving day so everyone cross your fingers I don't spend the first week in my new paradise pounding fence posts and soothing screaming farm animals

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A few years ago I saw an add to for field fenceing and I could have done a ten acre pasture for I think 10000 and that was including a gate an acre. If I was you I would start calling the Amish. Try Holmes county Ohio businesses or I think there is even a few communities in new York

maritown

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
A few years ago I saw an add to for field fenceing and I could have done a ten acre pasture for I think 10000 and that was including a gate an acre. If I was you I would start calling the Amish. Try Holmes county Ohio businesses or I think there is even a few communities in new York

Our new neighbors are actually a very nice Amish family! They are building our barns! I am trying to get a fencing quote from them but they are very busy and also don't use phones...lol. I will definitely keep my eye out though! If I could do 10 acres for 10k I would be over the moon.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
25K is a ridiculous amount for what you're getting done. 50K is larceny, pure and simple. I agree with the previous post stating to buy some T posts, cattle panels and clips and put up a dry yard to hold the animals while you get the fencing completed. Nearest I can estimate:
upload_2017-9-28_20-6-48.png

upload_2017-9-28_20-4-11.png

ETA: With the gates, I'm assuming you use the provided mounting hardware and chain latches. If you choose fancier latches or hanging hardware, that would add extra cost.

maritown

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
25K is a ridiculous amount for what you're getting done. 50K is larceny, pure and simple. I agree with the previous post stating to buy some T posts, cattle panels and clips and put up a dry yard to hold the animals while you get the fencing completed. Nearest I can estimate:
View attachment 38906
View attachment 38905
ETA: With the gates, I'm assuming you use the provided mounting hardware and chain latches. If you choose fancier latches or hanging hardware, that would add extra cost.

BYH is AMAZING!!

I made this thread to make sure I wasn't crazy for thinking those prices were out of the question and you all have been so supportive!! I feel very equipped to get everything done in a reasonable price range with all of this support

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe the job may be too small for your local farm fencer and the residential contractor as well and they are intentionally pricing themselves out of the job..perhaps because they are already busy or hoping for a bigger job.
Who knows...

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have read all that you have posted and the answers. Greybeard is one of the most experienced here, and he makes some very valid points. All the braces and such to keep the fence upright, wire tight and gates functional are costly. Did it ever occur to you to get the perimeter fenced, then go back and put in the division fences later? Especially since you are not there and may find that you really wanted the gate here instead of over at the other end???? Stuff like that. Then there is also the whole...it's getting closer to winter and WINTER is spelled with capital letters in upstate NY. I am originally a New Englander, and know very well about the winters, snow, ice, long nights and short days, miserable cold temps, MUD SEASON, and all that. Also, what about water availability? Putting in underground water with frost proof faucets would be alot easier if there aren't ten different fences to have to work around.

Another thing, suppose you want one or two lots to be smaller to house a male animal and then you need to have a larger area to house a few females together? Then the fence is already permanent and you are finding it is not practical....
Also, look at the sketch that latestarter showed.... there is alot more sense in a center alley halfway and so the back 2 lots will share a common fenceline but you will save alot of extra fencing/posts/bracing etc..
What about having electrified netting as interior divider fences until you figure out what works the best. UNTIL you live with the weather and such for a little while, you might be just putting too much into it right off the bat.

Yes land and farms are ALOT CHEAPER up in NY state. The taxes are a B%@#H, and the winters are tough. I have family in NY so know firsthand.... The growing season is shorter and the winters are longer. It's beautiful up there as is Vermont and NH. But it is not for everyone. Since you are committed and planning the move soon I would be a bit hesitant to put that much into the fencing until you have dealt with the day to day. The 16' fence panels from TSC can be put up fairly easily with T-posts, and will do for temp pens, and since you will have a barn they can be used for alleyways to move animals to pastures. If your animals respect electric, I would use that for temp interior fencing until you get there and then are able to deal with it in person.

My son does some fencing for the different people we rent from, and I showed him a sketch of what you were proposing and he just said NO WAY; way too much work and bracing....it will cost them a small fortune. We have no skin in the game so are not trying to rip you off; just his off hand comment.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
When we first started the planning phase for our paddocks I wanted a lane going between four 2+ acre paddocks. We got one finished and then cross fenced it to the size we wanted but it was a couple of months before we got back to building fence. I put gates in each of the corners and used electric netting to let the sheep graze during the day and it didn't take long to see that I didn't need an alley at all so when we built the other paddocks we built gates to allow for movement within the paddocks into all of the others. We have a few $ tied up in gates but the fence material cost went down considerably from what I was planning. Our fence is well inside the property lines so that wasn't a consideration.

Latest posts