Insane rabbit demand

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Has anyone else been experiencing way higher demand in your area?
We live in northern alberta canada in what is called the peace region.

There's a good community of meat rabbits around here and there's normally ads for bunnies through the summer on our craigslist equivalent, kijiji. However this summer demand is so high that there's hardly any ads for bunnies up.

I posted all for litters I was expecting since they are all different variations of mixed breeds. I thought I'd sell a handful to cover some expenses. But it just blew up on me, the demand for does is crazy and bucks isn't far behind. I limited my waitlists for the unborn kits to 3 of each gender for each litter thinking that way we should cover all requests and hopefully put some meat in the freezer. But I've already over filled those numbers requesting does and almost full for bucks!

The first litter arrived a couple days ago and luckily there were 9 so that waitlist should be covered but HOLY COW!
I even had my prices up a bit high so this wouldn't happen and I still got told my prices were too low and I should raise them by one of the buyers getting the most does from me! I also had one guy that hasn't been able to find a buck for his adult does so he is driving FOUR HOURS up tomorrow to breed with my bucks!!! that's one way!!!
One hypothesis I heard is that people are panicking about a shortage of meat if the factories shut down for covid? I think maybe just boredom, everyone who ever considered getting into it has lots of time to get started now.

So let me know:
Where are located roughly?
What's you experience this spring compared to previous years?
What do you think is causing this shift?

CraftyHen

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Central Minnesota. No rabbit shortage here. But chickens/chicks/fertilized eggs are moving fast, as well as fresh eating eggs. I have a new influx of egg customers and some who have standing orders weekly.
I do think the current situation has made folks wake up a bit. Many are jumping into chickens and rabbits...but I wonder how many will keep at it once they can get everything they want at grocery store again?

TaylorBug

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm in southern Indiana. I only raise for 4H and my own freezer right now but the guy that I get my stock from, as well as others I know, have had a higher demand for meat and breeding stock. I think people are getting worried about meat supply and opening their eyes to the option of rabbit as an efficient protein source.

CraftyHen

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I just have to wonder how many folks getting into meat rabbits, chickens, quail what have you, because of the virus and supply chain issues have *really* studied up and know what to expect. It took me 3 yrs before I felt confident that I could cull and process the rabbits. And anyone thinking it will save them money...lol, 60 cent eggs in a carton, or $18 feed?

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just have to wonder how many folks getting into meat rabbits, chickens, quail what have you, because of the virus and supply chain issues have *really* studied up and know what to expect. It took me 3 yrs before I felt confident that I could cull and process the rabbits. And anyone thinking it will save them money...lol, 60 cent eggs in a carton, or $18 feed?
I've already been running into this. My #1 customer I believe is coming to me because I share my (limited) knowledge and genuinely care about his success.
A lot of people try free-ranging rabbits up here and his experience with it was bad and all his original rabbits got picked off. Then when he tried again, planning to build runs, he bought bunnies from someone who really took advantage of him, sold him 4 "mix gender" bunnies that all "happened" to be bucks, when I saw them they looked like they weren't yet 4 weeks old. Helped him out with calf manna to help the boys. He's getting his does from my different genetic lines. He seemed really happy when I sent him home with his first doe, a healthy 3 lb 5 week old doe who had been weaned for 4 days before she went home with him.

There's plenty who aren't prepared and want to pick up bunnies. I might start asking to see pictures of their cages/enclosures before I send them home with people.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score

Over on BYC, it's pretty much understood that the most expensive eggs you will ever eat come from your backyard hens . . . :idunno

There have been similar discussions about gardening; the garden centers around here are having a hard time maintaining social distancing because of the crowds. At least with plants, most people don't get too upset if they get neglected.

CraftyHen

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Over on BYC, it's pretty much understood that the most expensive eggs you will ever eat come from your backyard hens . . . :idunno

There have been similar discussions about gardening; the garden centers around here are having a hard time maintaining social distancing because of the crowds. At least with plants, most people don't get too upset if they get neglected.
Thankfully, some plants thrive on neglect!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Huge increase on our local livestock pages on FB for rabbits, chickens, ducks, etc. A big jump from before the virus event. I've had people ask me if I could sell them some of my lambs "for cheap" and have been mooching eggs off me from the beginning. Had a sister drive 4 hrs one way to get a couple doz. eggs to hatch.

Panic buying, for sure.

Latest posts