Insect Eggs???

Childwanderer

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What do they feel like when squeezed? How old is the barn? Does it have fresh pine rafters? They look a little like drops of amber to me.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Clarification: This is in loose hay on the barn floor NOT in the actual hay. There better not be fertilizer (other than manure;)) in my livestock barn. He has a shop for that! The barn is more than 30 yrs old so not dripping anything.

As to what they do when squeezed, nothing. Hard like a bead (without the string hole.) DH actually thought they were beads from broken jewelry when we first found them.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had to post on an insect ID group, too curious. Seems like it's too dry to be eggs, "desiccant beads from shipping packets" is what some thought.

That would make sense but how would those be dispersed on my barn floor?!?!:ep

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
As to what they do when squeezed, nothing. Hard like a bead (without the string hole.) DH actually thought they were beads from broken jewelry when we first found them.

Smack one lightly with a hammer, just enough to crush it. Since you are unsure what it is, wear eye protection. If the results are a dry powder or crystal, it isn't tick egg.