Inside of mouth is swollen?

ThePigeonKid

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
One of my pregnant does has a swollen mouth, what could cause this?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Check to make sure that there is no foreign object (such as a hard piece of plant / hay / other) stuck in the mouth that could be causing the swelling.

ThePigeonKid

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I will be checking her mouth. What can I do to make the swelling go down?

Thanks!

AdoptAPitBull

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Are you sure it's not bottle jaw?

It's a swelling of the mouth area, usually mostly the lower mouth/jaw area caused by infestation of the barberpole worm. It looks like they've been stung by a bee and their whole face is fat.

Post a pic so we can see. If it is, you'll need Ivomec Plus and Red Cell.

ThePigeonKid

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
AdoptAPitBull said:
It's a swelling of the mouth area, usually mostly the lower mouth/jaw area caused by infestation of the barberpole worm. It looks like they've been stung by a bee and their whole face is fat.

If it is, you'll need Ivomec Plus and Red Cell.
Yes, thats what it looks like. I have Red Cell I also have ivermectin is it the same as Ivomec Plus?

I will try to get a pic. But have to go milk now.

Thanks!

ThePigeonKid

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
P.S. I will need a step by step what to do. And shes looked like this for 3 days or so now.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Do NOT use Ivomec Plus on a pregnant goat. It may cause abortion. Ivomec 1% injectible works just fine on Barberpole worm. Most people dose it at 1cc per 20 lbs. Give her another dose 10-14 days later.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
The way to be certain that it is bottle jaw is to press your thumb into the swelling, if it stays indented for 5-8 seconds then it's bottle jaw...if it bounces right back then it's something else.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
AdoptAPitBull said:
Are you sure it's not bottle jaw?

Post a pic so we can see. If it is, you'll need Ivomec Plus and Red Cell.
good catch, I almost asked that and then decided that wasn't what the OP meant.

Bottle jaw is from being anemic,

#1 needs to be wormed with a really good wormer, since she is pregnant you are limited, I would go with Safeguard 3x the label dosage for 3 days in a row. You can try the ivermectin, but don't mess around with a low dosage, I would go with 1cc per 20 or 25lbs of body weight and repeat weekly for 3 weeks.

#2 injectable iron for pigs, 1 cc per 100lbs, given every 3 or 4 days, then weekly as the bottle jaw goes away.

#3 injectable B vitamines given at the same time as the iron. B vitamines' are needed to build red blood cells.

#4 increased protein in her diet. Just like people, protein helps your body heal. Alfalfa hay is a very good source of protein or grain will also help her body build red blood cells.

Bottle jaw will look better in the morning and get worse as the day goes on and she is grazing. So I find it helps the doe heal if you take them off of pasture and pen them and feed them out of feeders that are up off the ground, so they don't have to reach down to get their food.

Bottle jaw is very common, especially with livestock on spring pasture, I actually have two does right now that I am watching and treating that are showing signs of bottle jaw. Spring pastures and the worming weather cause a bloom in parasites in their system and then they are eating with their heads down all the time, which makes bottle jaw worse.

good luck on your doe.

All the above mentioned products are OTC, but The injectable B vitamines have been a little harder for some people to find. It may be worth calling a livestock vet and see if they are selling a bottle out of their pharmacy if you can't locate any at your feedstores. You don't need a RX.