Interest in LGD puppies in VA? Also, breeding tips?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well dang! If you can do it with a sheep, why not a dog? LOL

There is considerably more to it than that.
There are enough backyard breeders. Can you throw 2 dogs together give a shot sell them and be done... yep. Many do.

Not saying you would do that Secouno-

Or were you referring to weighing the animals? :hu

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I was referring to picking the dog up and getting on a bathroom scale...

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, that was difficult to say the least!
Got the female to stay still long enough, 100#, plus or minus a couple pounds. But the male wouldn't cooperate at all. Maybe I can get another bathroom scale and have him stand on both.

Heartworm drugs, like many other drugs are done by a range of weight, not exact weight.
Many people treat themselves with Ivermectin.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I would never treat myself with ivermectin... Might treat livestock with it though... :duc:hide:smack

So the female is ~#100... The male looks bigger by ~ 20-30 pounds I'd guess... Good sized LGDs!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would never treat myself with ivermectin... Might treat livestock with it though... :duc:hide:smack

So the female is ~#100... The male looks bigger by ~ 20-30 pounds I'd guess... Good sized LGDs!

I think @secuono meant, at least what I understood was that people give their dogs Ivermectin that you get from TSC as heartworm preventative instead of Heartguard from the vet. Ivermectin is the active ingredient in Heartguard. That's what we have done for years.

With that being said, they do give Ivermectin to people in other countries. Had a friend who got intestinal worms while on a mission trip to South American and that's what they gave her.