interested in starting small cow herd... what breed?

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
hello!
*i'm in ohio
*want a good meat breed
*wanting to be grass/hay diet
*would like a good-natured breed
*would like a medium size adult but good size steers for eating

what breed would you suggest?
i like the highland becuase the hide would be a nice blanket and they seem like a good size. also...
*how much land per cow? i read one acre per steer and 2 1/2 acre per cow with a calf.

any suggestions you have will be welcome.
thanks!

*** also what type of fence do you suggest? and how high?

amyquilt

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ahhh.... love this question. I'm also curious, but live in the Texas Panhandle.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would recommend the polled Hereford as the cow, and possibly use an Angus bull to produce baldy (red or black) calves. The Hereford cows are usually good natured, and efficient converters of grass/hay. The cross would give you an excellent, polled, meat type animal with hybrid vigor.

Although I have absolutely NO experience with Highlands, I would caution you against them because of their horns. People who are not experienced with cattle definitely don't need the added danger of horns. While cattle appear to be docile, gentle animals, they can (and will) often hurt people badly without actually trying. A thousand+ pound animal is incredibly strong, and can easily injure a person accidentally.

As to fencing, you will not be able to use the electric fence with Highlands because of their dense hair coat. Electric would be your most cost effective method of fencing.

You should check with beef cattle producers in your area as to the amount of land you will need per animal. This varies a lot depending on location, soil type, precipitation, etc.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
As JHM stated, Herefords are good, as are Angus. Angus may be a bit better because they're polled, not horned, like some herfs may be. I was also going to suggest Galloway, as they have the same hair coat as highlands do but lack the horns.

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
How much pasture needed in your location, will depend on how well you plan to keep it. Good grazing is aided by regular mowing, fertilizing and reseeding the fields. You also should do some dragging of the ground to spread manure, keep the mowed grasses aereated.
If you have the time to do good pasture care, it does pay off well in grass growth for the cattle. You never leave the grass growing to set seed, the plant quits producing for the rest of the season. So in spring rainy season, you may need to mow weekly!

I keep my pastures as described above, have grass all summer long for my horses. This would include the usual drought times of late July and August. Mowed pastures put their energy into developing great roots, heavier short leaf growth, so it can withstand no rain for those hard times. Fertilizers applied according to your soil tests, allow all the needed minerals to work at best production. I do spread our stall bedding daily, which is an aid to root production and moisture retention. You probably would not have the additional bedding for pastured animals.

I would suggest the Hereford with Angus cross, it is a proven winner. The Herefords I have been around are pretty easy minded, do well with just grazing. Market steers will take a bit longer to reach weight if you don't add some grain to diet. Grain will also add marbling of fat distribution thru the meat. You want some fat on your steers, otherwise the meat will be tough to eat.

Lastly in your location, you will need to plan for winter feeding of hay. The best pasture is unusable if buried in a foot of snow, or if grass plants are frozen, not growing. Cattle still need to be fed, probably from Sept. to late May. Some years you have a longer grass season, other time it is VERY short, like in 2009 with all the constant rain, early winter.

You will want to be able to remove bull from the cows, to control calf birthing times. Cattle will need some shelter with freezing rain, cold wind and snow of winters. Steers in numbers may need their own area, can be rough with mother cows and new or small calves.

The special breeds are interesting, but may be more expensive in starting out. If you are doing production, learning how to manage, I would do cheaper, common cattle. As you learn more, then you can add special breeds, aim production to special markets like organic or the grass-fed buyers. Your local County Extension can be very helpful with tips, feed programs, ideas in managing your cattle and farm, connect you with other local folks in the same business.

Welcome to the group!

4-HKid

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
shorthorn have a neat variety of coloring and are a medium sized continental class breed of cow

hcammack

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Highlands can be controlled with an electric fence. I would suggest herford or angus they are easier to get your hands on then highlands. Highlands aren't that dangerous as long as you don't plan on handling them much.

Henry

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
actually... :D there is a small herd just down the road from me (scottish highlands). :plbb and i found two farms with them that are near me. :weee

FarmerMack

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ohiogoatgirl said:
hello!
*i'm in ohio
*want a good meat breed

i like the highland becuase the hide would be a nice blanket and they seem like a good size. also...
*how much land per cow? i read one acre per steer and 2 1/2 acre per cow with a calf.

thanks!

Excellent post and answers as i want a breed that doesnt need disbudding or and with a good nature.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
FarmerMack said:
ohiogoatgirl said:
hello!
*i'm in ohio
*want a good meat breed

thanks!

Excellent post and answers as i want a breed that doesnt need disbudding or and with a good nature.
There are many polled varieties of breeds out there, like Hereford and Shorthorn that are good to start with. Herefords (polled) are really good natured, often moreso than Angus. But with each breed there are always animals that are of either extremes.

But my suggestions for you would be Galloway, Red Poll, Angus, Red Angus, Shorthorn and Hereford. I would definitely start with Herefords (the polled variety) as they can be crossed with Angus to get black baldies that will both ring the bell at the sale barn and, if you choose to keep a steer or two back for your freezer, they make for some excellent quality beef.