Interlocking rubber mats on sleeping benches?

Jea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
HI:

My goats have a goat house with 4 sleeping benches and that is their favorite place to sleep and hang out. Because of that, it's constantly a mess. We scrape off the goat droppings to the floor to rake them up, but in the morning the benches are covered and they are just laying on top of them. Plus, the benches are wood, and I have to think bacteria must be bad with this going on.

We are cleaning constantly, but we were thinking of maybe using interlocking mats for the benches so we can pull them off and clean them or rotate them and disinfect them too.

The floors below are dirt with straw on it, but it's really the benches that I'm looking to find a better way to keep clean. Any experience with the mats?

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
No, but I would probably just sweep them off once a day and spray a little bleach spray. At least, that seems easier to me.
:hu

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would not worry about "bacteria".
Sweep benches and like anything every once in a while wash them down.
Goats are livestock. They in their natural habitat lay wherever. They are exposed to bacteria. They poop while sleeping.

Goats should NOT live in sterile conditions.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would not worry about "bacteria".
Sweep benches and like anything every once in a while wash them down.
Goats are livestock. They in their natural habitat lay wherever. They are exposed to bacteria. They poop while sleeping.

Goats should NOT live in sterile conditions.
Even milking does?
Maybe I am going a little over the top with sweeping and bleaching 2× a day...:hide;)

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What does that have to do with it?
If you are properly cleaning your doe and practicing good udder care habits that isn't a big deal. Now, I am not saying let them live in filth, just be realistic. Goats lay in dirt, on the grass, in the woods etc.
Sorry... Turning this into a milking thread... Do you thing one part apple cider vinegar, one part water is good enough to wash with, and then fight bac spray at the end? I was thinking maybe the apple cider vinegar wasn't good enough.
I also use mastitis indicate cards every week or two to make sure nothing is creeping up on me.

Latest posts