intestinal parasite control

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok so hit my bunny herd this spring with a round of corid for cocci and fenbendazole for stomach worms. But thinking my jrs need a dose. They are doing ok but not in great flesh condition. They get hay bellies very easily and had a couple new owners concerned about bloat. I don't know that they were actually bloating, but need to consider it. Definitely don't want new owners having problems. In any case I kind of go back and forth about regularly deworming or as needed. Please share your parasite control for your bunnies. Thanks

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Rabbits, unlike most other livestock, do not need routine deworming, vaccinations, or vet checkups. The best way to prevent parasites in rabbits is clean housing. Use wire floors, clean nest boxes frequently, clean out from under the hutches frequently, and keep the manure pile a little ways away from the hutches.
As for deworming, I've found that deworming as needed is more cost effective than routine deworming. But, if you have a very large amount of rabbits, or have had a large amount of trouble with worms in the past, routine deworming may help keep things more simple.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Don't forget that rabbits eat their own feces. They reach down and catch their own feces just as it is excreted and munch it down again. If the feces contains worms / eggs, they reinfest themselves, so more than one dose is in order !