Intro to the Lazy A** Acres

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Snakes and spiders? They aren't so bad. It's not like they are waiting at the door step for us to come out so they can attack! ;)

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's good to hear what others experience during change of seasons. When I was in FL for winter 50 degrees was like freezing to those natives -- bundled up in coats/gloves -- while those in CO would think it was tank top weather! :p

BUT -- to hear of hoses freezing within the time you let the water flow because of -20 degrees -- THAT is too cold for me! On our horse forum the discussion was "how" to keep tanks full, useable, etc., especially if power out. Livestock makes us address these things.:th

I am living where these things are not extreme -- hot or cold -- so a couple weeks of issues can be worked through, not welcome but, doable. :celebrate

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah I can't use hoses in the winter. I lug water buckets. A lot of water buckets. Often from the bathtub because our water outside freezes. Someday we will remedy that but everything costs money!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've never been anywhere cold either. My name is Baymule and I am a Southern Magnolia! :lol:
Well ya ain't missed nothin!!....though there are those that Love the cold....I was born in Florida....then to Alaska...then Hawaii to Maine.....I felt like a 'Yo-Yo'.....they was Big back in the Day....not so much now.....LOL!!....was glad Dad retired and we were able to have a Stable 'Environment'....other than traveling in a truck....I have never been Above the Mason-Dixon since...LOL!!!....been all around yo neck of the woods down there...Baytown to Brownsville...and even Orange...LOL!!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Y
It's good to hear what others experience during change of seasons. When I was in FL for winter 50 degrees was like freezing to those natives -- bundled up in coats/gloves -- while those in CO would think it was tank top weather! :p

BUT -- to hear of hoses freezing within the time you let the water flow because of -20 degrees -- THAT is too cold for me! On our horse forum the discussion was "how" to keep tanks full, useable, etc., especially if power out. Livestock makes us address these things.:th

I am living where these things are not extreme -- hot or cold -- so a couple weeks of issues can be worked through, not welcome but, doable. :celebrate
You are sooo Right Mini Horses....and it is a very Big consideration that should be 'Factored Into' anyone's plan...though, when ya live where ya are 'Raised' it is just Natural....we haul water from the tub too...for right now, but our 'Frost Line' is only a foot so will run a pipe when buildings are done....I hate dragging hoses around...lol

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother
@NH homesteader
Isn't it funny how we make a 'Monster' out of 'Mole Hills'?
I used to be leary of snakes....so, I got 3 as pets to force me to 'Deal With' that fear....most all of them will Flee from ya unless they are cornered and perceive a Threat...around here there are basically 2 that are poisonous...Copperhead and Cottonmouth very few Rattlers...and only 2 spiders...Black Widow and Recluse....though they are prevelent here they are only located in certain places and neither are like 'Jaws' and just waiting to 'Attack Ya'....I will never forget the time my #3 daughter...we lived in Florida at the time....began Screaming from the bathroom...I went Running...asked her what was the matter...she said there was a spider in the tub....I laughed and told her, thru the door, to take care of it...she said she was 'Covered' but couldn't....so, I opened the door...went to the tub and turned the hot water on...the 'Wolf Spider' curled up and qent down the drain...she was 16yo at the time....LOL!!....I have more problems with Fire Ants, Chiggers, Ticks, and Skeeters than anything else...LOL!!!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I actually don't have a fear of snakes. Some live in my barn and I leave 'em alone if they eat rats - if they eat eggs they get relocated. I found this one in a nest, curled around a batch of eggs. My neighbor holding the snake is 6'4" and the snake, fully stretched out was a couple inches longer. This snake got relocated!
photo (73).jpg

The speckled king that was hiding near my garden got to stay! He was also a 6 footer!
Speckled King.jpg

However, when I was 14 years old I was bitten by a copperhead. Stayed overnight in the hospital, leg swelled from ankle to hip...was talk of surgically splitting the skin so it wouldn't tear.... Got me a lot of "street cred" that summer, lol.

I don't fear snakes and I actually kind of admire them - even after the bad experience.

Gotta say, I'm not too fond of spiders though... And a cockroach will make me scream like a little girl! :th

Latest posts