Introduce new goat to herd

Squick7314

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have 3 goats all dawrf one is Nigerian he is our buck we know that our other 2 is a mom doe and her baby that I got from a farm while mom was pregnant but our two adults are both now 2 and the baby is 5 months we just took in a nubain doe who is 5months she is super sweet now the buck is fine could care less the kid she doesn't care she just wants to be by her mom but momma goat she keeps attacking and she is the only one having a problem I have try having them in open space she just attacks and I been keeping the two youngsters together because they are fine together they will eat out of the same bowl and everything

One more thing I'm worried bout how small this nubain is I don't know know the story on why they had to get rid of there goats but she seems thin I'll attach pictures
IMG_20180808_084744496.jpg
IMG_20180809_110848747.jpg

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
That is one very thin/underweight baby IMHO. I think she could stand more/better groceries as well as a fecal to make sure parasites aren't robbing her of nutrition. Mom is probably attacking to "protect" her baby.

Squick7314

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yeah we just picked her up really thin i don't know what the story was behind them getting rid of their goats but she seen food an started gobbling it right up ours are a good size so I was like wow she really thin but o was picking up dewormer this weekend and was going to keep her on a higher grain deit to see if the extra carbs will help with weight gaine love my goats and she is the sweetest little thing

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
No she is not thin. She is very dairy looking and at the stage of development they tend to grow long and lanky. Some of this depends on genetics. Our Nubian kids are much leaner than our lamancha kids. Some lines are leaner and slower growing, others are beefier... again depends on lines.
She has a beautiful escutcheon, teat placement and width between hock.

Be very careful with just adding grain "groceries". This can throw off the rumin quick as well as cause other metabolic issues. I suggest some vitamins and minimal grain, good hay.
Deworm only after having a fecal analysis done. Never deworm without knowing what worms and what load.

Interesting she has a scrapie tag but not a tattoo. I guess she was not registered.
You should ask if the Nubians are G6S tested. It is DNA, if they say yes ask for a copy of the paperwork.

Just an FYI you really should not keep your Nigerian buck with any does. Especially not any Nigerian Kids.

The Nubian dam is just being protective.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
How much does she weigh?

Side profile pic shows she looks to have adequate amount of covering over her ribs and spine.

A fecal is always a good idea.

Squick7314

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have our buck separate the only ones together are the does but her hip bones an her lower spine seem to be very noticeable but she is a happy little think and I haven't done anything to change really just bouncing ideas around because she is our first big breed and I want to make sure everything looks right to a nubain owner size wise because to us she looks thin and I know dairy goats are not as meaty but I want her healthy and not under weight Ill try to get a weight on her

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Keep in mind this is not a Nigerian dwarf. Their body structure is quite different. She has adequate fleshing.

As far as weight you look at rate of gain... is the doe progressing? What was birthweight etc.

These are two of our Nubians. Not sure if the red one will be shown but the black one will be. They always look thinner in pics... why? I don't know. But these two are super healthy. No coccidia, no parasites.
these are from June 30
Wingin' it Farms- J&M Hideaway PR Tickled Pink  (2).JPG Wingin' it Farms- J&M Hideaway PR Tickled Pink  (3).JPG Wingin' it Farms- J&M Hideaway PR Tickled Pink  (4).JPG Wingin' it Farms- J&M Hideaway PR Tickled Pink  (6).JPG

these are from Aug 7

Wingin' it Farms Mittens & Pinky (7).JPG 002.JPG

These were taken mid July-
IMG_4929.JPG IMG_5005.JPG IMG_5014.JPG

The black one is a March 7th baby (one of triplets) The red one a March 24th baby (twins)

Squick7314

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Beautiful yeah they said she was probably about 5months old but from back she still doesn't look that healthy I can clearly see her hips i know they didn't not disbud her right either she has a little piece of bud on her one side of head she is for our home not show but your are so beautiful

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your doe is very pretty and structurally from behind she is very nice. Keep that in mind as she gets old enough to breed. She is pretty. I see what you mean on the hips, I looked back at the pics.
Maybe a bit of weight but keep in mind you should see "something". Often those use to Nigerians especially will think ugggghhhh thin.... not necessarily.

A good friend that has a lamancha (her first) kept saying the goat was thin and the goats were just seeming like they needed weight... especially the one Nigerian. Keep in mind she is newer to goats and has Nigerians, mini's and Lamancha. I finally found time to go and visit.
:ep:ep:ep

The one she was really worried about was the only animal that was in proper condition. All the other goats were so fat it was becoming dangerous.
The Lamancha was 160lbs at 1yr. This is not a large framed doe... none of the goats were cycling... no heats... too heavy. She has to get 60 lbs off the lm before breeding.
Her feet were really affected.. she didn't want to climb or do much.

Think thoroughbred horse vs a percheron or a belgian horse. ;)

Now, I'll be honest I do like a bit more fleshy... I would like a bit more on my nubian girls too... but that is because I always feel like I rather have a bit of padding because all it takes is something small to throw off a goat and it can take forever for them to recuperate a few pounds.

This doeling was considered "fleshy"
Wings & Caprines BTAZ Poppy.JPG IMG_5021.JPG

this doe- just right
Wings & Caprines Choc Mousse Rec Grade  2.28.2018 (1).JPG

Definitely go with what you are comfortable with... I just wanted to encourage you that she really is ok and not to worry too much.
As far as the scurs... yep many goats get them. Doesn't matter if the breeder has been disbudding for 30-40 years or a vet or an extension agent... they can happen. When disbudding many would rather err on the side of caution and end up with a scur than a dead kid.

Squick7314

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well she seems extremely healthy other wise poop is normal coloring of eyes normal she talks and she is super sweet the only issue were having is a doe she is just having it her kid will lay next our the Nubian if put together but as soon as we put our doe in she Chase's and head butts just keep trying bringing them in the pasture together and sepreate when need be hopefully she takes soon because this little girl is the sweetest lay her head on ur lap and follows me all over