Introducing a new kid

Jayzandra

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We got Comet a little over a year ago when she was 8 weeks old. She was such a sweet little affectionate doeling. We brought a buck over for breeding a little over a month ago. If she took, she'll be due August 8th. We just got another little 8 week old doeling, Kaluha. Comet does not like her at all.

We're in the process of building a new area for the goats at the back of the property, but until then, Comet and the buck are in a 40x30 foot pen, the buck is on a 20 ft chain so he can't pester Comet. We put the doeling, Kaluha, on the outside of the pen and a 15 ft cable so the could safely get to know each other.

Is this ok? What is the typical method of introduction?
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
A couple things that I'm sure you have taken care of, but I have to ask because I worry.... I understand this arrangement is temporary but do the goats have someplace to go to get out of any weather (stop laughing at me it could rain in Arizona yeah it could) and shade... do they have some place to go to get out of the sun if they want?

Please do hurry up with the new goat area as a goat on a chain is just another dish on the predator's buffet, and these goaties are much too pretty to be a food item.

We'd love to see the new digs when you are finished! Pictures, please and thank you very much.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, Comet should get use to and be friendly with Kaluha. Some times it just takes time. The girls have to set up the whole goat queen issue. Almost every time I move one of the girls from one group into a different group there is a whole lot of butting and rearing up like they don't know who the "stranger" is. Everyone gets over it after a couple days. Meanwhile I'm convinced they are going to bash in each other brains... but they don't. They are just sorting out the social order.

Jayzandra

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes they have shelter and shade and the area they are in is completely fenced in. They are safe. Besides that, we have dogs. Our chickens, ducks, and turkeys all free range our property and we have yet to lose a single one. Haven't lost any rabbits or pigs or cats or anything. The dogs do a good job.

animalmom, I knew there would be some hierarchy issues, but Comets horns are quite sharp and jabs them under poor little Kaluha and tries to impale her with them. I'm afraid she's going to seriously injure her. She's not just head butting, she's hooking in the guts.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, the poor baby! a couple suggestions:

You could duct tape a piece if wood, like a 1x2 to Comet's horns -- like you would do to stop her from poking her head through fencing. This won't stop her from going after the baby but it will blunt the impact and maybe take some of the fun out of it for Comet.

You could try tapeing tennis balls on the tips of the horns. This is similar to taping the piece of wood. Seems to me that securing the taping would be problematic.

You could get her de-horned, which is a rather big deal. @Southern by choice has a thread about one of her girls that was de-horned. Lots of pictures. If I remember right this goat had taken to sharpening the tips of her horns on a concrete block... naughty naughty girl.

You could squirt her in the face with a water bottle when you catch her trying to hook the baby. She might get the idea it isn't acceptable.

Please keep us posted. We all can learn from your experiences. Good luck!

Jayzandra

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We put Kaluha in with Comet every day for a few minutes until Comet stopped being such a butthead. They are now peacefully coexisting.

Latest posts