Introducing Deb Lewis

DebLewis

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
:frow Howdy, Deb! First, I would like to welcome y'all to BYH! :frow Since most BYH members seem to be from the US, I just love it when people, from other countries, join us. :celebrate

Wow! I'm so sorry you have lost so many of your alpacas. I know next to nothing about them. Although, at one time, waaay before we moved to Texas, to start our little homestead.

The one thought I had, since you are losing so many animals, is to take one that died, to the Vet and have them do a Necropsy - basically an autopsy, to see if they can find the cause of death.

Once again . . . :welcome
Thanks for the welcome
Yes I think we'll have to take that course if we lose any more
I do love all my animals, and so sad when we lose one

DebLewis

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
:welcome

Be sure to post your alpaca questions in the alpaca and llama disease section so the experts can help. Sorry I know nothing about them but want you to be welcomed. ;)
Still finding my way around .. thanks for the tip

DebLewis

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
welcome! it's never easy loosing livestock or any animal at that... as for your tick problem you should think about getting some guinea fowl they are great tick eaters
Thank you for the tip ... guinea fowl ... I will add it to my list! (I do so hate ticks :-( )

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You might have to learn to shear and trim feet yourself. Several people here do their own as it's so hard to find anybody to do it. If they don't come out looking perfect, who cares? Who is going to be out in your pasture with a score card? LOL

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
My vet actually owns several alpaca ... but he didn't suggest any mineral supplement

From what I've read, camelids need a much higher selenium intake than other species such as sheep, cows, etc. Could be a selenium deficiency causing the death of the young ones.

What did your vet think caused these deaths?

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have two 7ish Y/O wethers, gifted back in October, so I know --><-- this much but ...
Yes if your area is weak on selenium, they will need it. Free choice minerals formulated for CAMELIDS! They can't have copper (or at least VERY little) and goat minerals will kill them. They also shouldn't get into chicken feed.

For feed my boys have free access to all the grass/weeds/etc they can eat (and they can't keep up at all!) and there is always hay in the wall feeder in the barn. The door to the barn is always open. They ate hay all winter when there was no grass but are still eating some during the spring and summer. I guess they like some "dry" to go with the "wet". And they each get maybe 1/4 cup llama/alpaca maintenance pellets twice a day. This is their "treat". I imagine they could get fat on that if it were free choice.

Oh and they have 3 stomachs.

Good luck!

DebLewis

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
You might have to learn to shear and trim feet yourself. Several people here do their own as it's so hard to find anybody to do it. If they don't come out looking perfect, who cares? Who is going to be out in your pasture with a score card? LOL
Happy to have a go at shearing ... but I am nervous to cut their toenails ... I don't want to hurt them

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just trim a little at a time until you get the hang of it. Even the best of the best will trim a little close once in awhile. My farrier almost trimmed one of my horses too close one time, but you know what? it grows out fairly quickly and all is well once again.

Latest posts