Introducing goslings into the gaggle

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have Embden geese and are getting 1 to 3 eggs a day for the last week and are wondering if any of you who have geese have incubated eggs successfully and then introduced these goslings to your gaggle. We have, we think, 4 geese and 5 ganders, or maybe it is 5 geese and 4 ganders.

Our geese will be a year old April 25.

We would prefer for the geese to do their own hatching, but just in case none of the girls ever gets in the mood to stay on the nest, we are looking into incubation.

Any tips, suggestions, comments?
Thanks

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
animalmom said:
We have Embden geese and are getting 1 to 3 eggs a day for the last week and are wondering if any of you who have geese have incubated eggs successfully and then introduced these goslings to your gaggle. We have, we think, 4 geese and 5 ganders, or maybe it is 5 geese and 4 ganders.

Our geese will be a year old April 25.

We would prefer for the geese to do their own hatching, but just in case none of the girls ever gets in the mood to stay on the nest, we are looking into incubation.

Any tips, suggestions, comments?
Thanks
I have French Toulouse, Brown Chinese and Tufted Romans. I have always let my geese sit on their own eggs and hatch. They are great parents. When done this way, the mom and dad protect the babies from any of the other geese. The problem is saving the eggs and knowing when she is going to sit and having the eggs to put back under her. This year, if I have market for the eggs, I will sell them and not have them hatch any.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mine all sit and are great sitters and brooders. Both the goose and gander are awesome parents. I will say ours do not sit early, meaning they lay for about a month we gather eating eggs and then they want to start gathering to nest. Once they show signs of not wanting to leave then we let them sit and hatch.

I know your asking about incubating... sorry I have no idea.