Introducing horses?

Teeah3612

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I recently moved to my farm and I am bringing my horse, Jasper (a gelding), to the new field. He has been at a friend's field with 6 other horses. I am also getting a new horse, Kate, and she will be delivered a couple of days before Jasper. Kate is a rescue from a slaughter auction in Kentucky. One of the reasons for getting Kate was that Jasper has never been alone. He is a very socialable horse and would not like being by himself.

How should I handle the introductions? Jasper is a very easy going horse, but I am less familiar with Kate's disposition. She has been with other horses at the rescue and is said to like to be the lead mare. Jasper is very used to have the girls be in charge where he is now, so that should not be a problem. Jasper is a 7 year old quarter horse. Kate is approximately 10 years old and is a arabian/Quarter horse mix.

They will not be stall kept, but will be turned out with a three sided run-in shelter.

Any opinions/suggestions?

LauraM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I generally turn new horses out in a field or paddock right next to the new herd or herdmate for several days. How many days depends on how much of a ruckus there is. :D I give them a chance to get to know each other over a good stout fence, and throw some hay near the adjoining fence to both parties so that they hang out a bit and eat "together" a bit. After that, it depends on the circumstances. If I have one horse going out with a large group, I will take a few of the "middle of the road" horses from the large group and one at a time, turn them out in the field or paddock with the new horse. Once the new horse has made a couple of friends, I'll turn them all back out into the larger group. If its one new horse going out with just one to three or four new horses, I'll generally either bring one in to "make friends" with the new horse, or just turn the new horse out with the small group if the small group are generally easy going horses without any bullies.

Without knowing your field/paddock situation any better, I can't give any specific suggestions for you.

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
if you have a large field you are turning them onto, and you can catch your new mare, you may be able to introduce over a safe fence, then just turn out together and let them "bond". if you were going to put your gelding in with an already established herd, then a slower introduction would be in order. since your mare is coming a few days before the gelding,get aquainted with her. and be prepared, she may not like being by herself, even for just a couple days. she does not know you are bringing her a friend

Teeah3612

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well, I managed to have them both brought to the new field at the same time. They spent 2 hours in the trailer together before being let loose on the field. I stayed with them for almost 2 hours on the field to make sure they were comfortable with their surroundings and each other. Other than Jasper nipping at Kate's butt and her kicking out at him when he did they did great! They were side by side all night and still this morning. And yes, I know they were side by side because I got up at 2:30 am and checked on them. I checked them again before work at 5 am and again before I left at 6. My DH says that they were running in the field when he left after daybreak.

I am just so happy to have them home with me!:D I can't wait to get home today and check on them again. My sons and DIL are there today to keep an eye on them.