Introducing myself and my nerd herd! :)

HillsideAcres

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am Lisa and I live just outside Fairbanks Alaska with my son and husband. We’ve got a herd of 10 goats. Some are rescues from neglectful situations and some we bought that needed new homes. We don’t milk or eat them they just clear brush around our place and have pretty much become our outdoor pets. I’m always learning more about goats and I often wind up reading on this forum so I finally decided to join it.

in addition to our herd we also have chickens for eggs and this year we will be raising meat chickens as well, we also have turkeys and geese. The two turkeys are my sons pets and the geese are the watch dogs for our chickens. We are slowly building a small hobby farm on our 2.25 acres. Our winters are long and horribly cold with a lot of snow so we only get four to five months out of the year to work outdoors building and putting in new things. It’s a slow process for us but every year we get closer to what we want.

I look forward to interacting with y’all on here abs

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The good news is you get 7 months to plan and prep your "outside activities". So when the weather permits you're ready to go for it. Edison said genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. But I think establishing any type "farm" is more like 99% preparation and 1% activation.
Welcome from South Carolina.

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas! I don’t envy your winters (but I suspect I’d love your summers compared to ours!!). Glad to have you here.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Welcome from Ohio! Goats are perfect for clearing brush. 😊
Welcome to the forums. I have a couple of them im our province.. they are good getting rid of the bad grass around the area. and they are staples here when the feast is at bloom. 👌👌👌

WildBird

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome from Idaho! Sounds like you've got a good herd going down there! Welcome and have a great day!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi there Lisa! I’m Denise! I have goats too! They are the best! I just had 5 kids on Friday and I just can’t get enough of them! Both of their moms are rescues!! :). It was hard at first, in fact the one is in my avatar, before she was ‘tame’ and had to use a harness....but now they are sweeties.... You will just love this forum! Everyone is so nice! Just like a big family! It seems like everyone starts a journal and that way everyone can write about their farm...it’s excellent....and very interactive. I can’t wait to hear more about life in Alaska! I can relate to long winters..NW PA is about 7 months....but...I want to hear about your beautiful scenery!! And pictures please!! Welcome to BYH!!:)

Latest posts