Introducing New Buckling

DaSouthernYankee

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
hi! So I have two Nigeriandwarf does. Both about 2 years old. They are playful, people friendly, and very sweet. Great with ducks, chickens, cats, and kids. They are disbudded for safety on our small backyard farm. We’ve got about 2 acres and are planning to bring a 3 week old buckling into our herd. The current owner says he’s very docile and gets lots of hands on with his children (but who really knows I mean he’s just a baby goat!!) but we’d like to disbud and keep him intact for future breeding.

1. When do male NGD goats become mature enough to breed?

2. I have a separate 10x10 enclosure so he can have a safe place when I’m not watching them all graze (is this acceptable?)

3. What are things/behavior I should expect from my does when meeting their new friend?

Thanks in advance!!

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bucklings are usually separated from the does/doelings at 2 months. They can be sexually active and potent at that time. Don't think that at 2 months old he can reach because where there is a will there is a way.

He is eventually going to need a friend, like a wether, to keep him company... are you still thinking about getting a brush goat? Your buckling could live with the brush goat once he hits 2 months old.

Are you positive he has horn buds? Three weeks is a lot of late to be disbudding a buckling. I'd have your vet do the job.

The does are probably going to head butt him... until they want him and then they will be shameless hussies.

Whenever you introduce a new goat to the herd there will be some discussion as to who is top goat and where the new goat fits in... they are not being mean, just sorting out the social scene.

I love my Nigi bucks; they are friendly, loving, goofy and just delightful. Teach your young man manners from the get go. Seriously don't let him jump up on you, or rub his head on you, or rear up to challenge you. You and he will be much happier if you maintain head buck over him, regardless of his age and size. If you don't know how to flank a goat let me know and I'll tell you how I do it. It sounds terrible.. tossing the buck on his side and sitting on him until he stops moving... but I've only had to do it once or twice per buck. If one of mine gets frisky I shake my fist at him and he settles down and is nice.

Good luck, and pictures please and thank you!

DaSouthernYankee

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Bucklings are usually separated from the does/doelings at 2 months. They can be sexually active and potent at that time. Don't think that at 2 months old he can reach because where there is a will there is a way.

He is eventually going to need a friend, like a wether, to keep him company... are you still thinking about getting a brush goat? Your buckling could live with the brush goat once he hits 2 months old.

Are you positive he has horn buds? Three weeks is a lot of late to be disbudding a buckling. I'd have your vet do the job.

The does are probably going to head butt him... until they want him and then they will be shameless hussies.

Whenever you introduce a new goat to the herd there will be some discussion as to who is top goat and where the new goat fits in... they are not being mean, just sorting out the social scene.

I love my Nigi bucks; they are friendly, loving, goofy and just delightful. Teach your young man manners from the get go. Seriously don't let him jump up on you, or rub his head on you, or rear up to challenge you. You and he will be much happier if you maintain head buck over him, regardless of his age and size. If you don't know how to flank a goat let me know and I'll tell you how I do it. It sounds terrible.. tossing the buck on his side and sitting on him until he stops moving... but I've only had to do it once or twice per buck. If one of mine gets frisky I shake my fist at him and he settles down and is nice.

Thank you so much for your input! I spoke with my vet and she said she can do the disbudding, or dehorning with a light anesthesia if he has more buds than we thought. (We pick him up tomorrow morning!) I also asked her if it’s safe to do late castration. I’d like to have a go at breeding and perhaps a few litters but then plan to wether him. She said any age is safe long as it’s done properly and he’s put under. So I did plan to run him with the does and keep them separated (but still able to see each other through their gates) when need be.

I’m not a faint of heart, I have no problem letting the herd sort itself or establishing human dominance. I’ve never had to flank a goat but I will absolutely be willing to do what’s necessary to teach him manners early! I’ll upload some photos now he is so precious!!

Attachments

• D1E3AA27-6A99-4001-8044-8DEC1C05792D.jpeg
    D1E3AA27-6A99-4001-8044-8DEC1C05792D.jpeg
    264.3 KB · Views: 197
  • 09054034-8094-4991-892F-E891D4AE6F23.jpeg
    09054034-8094-4991-892F-E891D4AE6F23.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 3C4E4BEF-FC76-486F-A15C-0825C32047D4.png
    3C4E4BEF-FC76-486F-A15C-0825C32047D4.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 204
  • 56194CC0-A254-43FB-A72D-187C11858083.jpeg
    56194CC0-A254-43FB-A72D-187C11858083.jpeg
    330.1 KB · Views: 207

DaSouthernYankee

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score

Also one more question I’ve been researching flanking position... but what is the proper age to begin this discipline?

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well that's a good question! With my wee goaties I start pretty much after birth to let them know they are not to put their front hooves up on me. At this stage a stern "NO" and a gentle hand to push them down, and then a reminder of "4 on the floor." I do pick them up for snuggle time and spoiling and will put them in my lap where they often go to sleep.

I have to admit that I need to remind the older goaties about "4 on the floor" if they think they are missing out on attention, or raisins, or whatever they think they are not getting at the moment. Not often, but on occasion they forget their manners.

I've flanked a two month old who was getting rowdy. Didn't sit on him I just held him down with my hands. Keep in mind you aren't going to physically hurt the goat. You stand at his side and reach over him, grab the two feet closest to you and pull straight out, not up. His "fall" is the height of his legs and he is falling flat on his entire side. It is a pretty safe operation. You will surprise the heck out of the goat but not hurt the goat. Once you let the goat up he/she usually walks away looking rather embarrassed.

Your goaties need to quickly learn that you are the head goat. Everyone is much happier when they come to this conclusion. Something else I teach my goats from the get-go is to not put their hooves up on the gate if they want me to come in with their feed. Yes they get excited to see the feed bucket coming their way and will put the hooves up to try to get a reach over anyone else so I stand in front of the gate and tell them "I can't come in if you are on the gate." Goaties are smart and they figure it out and get off the gate.

You are in for a wonderful world of crazy, loving, exasperating, funny and touching time with your goaties. Enjoy them! Wait until you have kids, or rather they have kids. Watching kids explore their bodies and see what they can do. Kids have springs in their legs. They don't walk, they bounce!

Latest posts