introducing new rabbits to others

animalsRawsome

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have two flemish giant does that were born on April 30th. They are currently sharing a cage. I would like to put them with several other does, one of which lives in the cage right next to them. I don't know if I can do this or not. I know it kind-of sounds crazy, but I don't know. I thought it was on here that I found a link to someone's website that had flemish giants and raised them in large (like 1/2-1 acre) outside pens. I'm pretty sure that their website talked about pen construction, and how to introduce new rabbits. It was a GREAT website, and I thought I saved it to my favorites, but must not have, because now I can't find it. :( Can anyone help? I'd love to find the website I'm talking about, but also what does everyone think about putting rabbits together? Am I crazy? You will NOT offend me if you say that I am! :D (because sometimes my family tells me I'm crazy :lol: )

oneacrefarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don't know about Flemish, but the one time my DH talked me into putting two Cali does who had been caged next to each other in the same cage, we learned REALLY FAST that it was a BAD IDEA!! I am talking scratching, biting, fur flying, rolling ball o' rabbit!

Shannon

bluemini

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have tried before but didnt work and really stressed the rabbits , and I will not try that again . Of course no rabbit is the same so for some people it works just not for me . Hope you find the website though :)

animalsRawsome

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies! I will have to look harder for the website. Hmm...I wish I could remember what it was called. :he Anyways, maybe I won't try putting them together. Do you think the size of the cage might make a difference? Like if it was the size of a horse stall? hmm...I'll have to think about this more.

bluemini

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
animalsRawsome said:
Thanks for your replies! I will have to look harder for the website. Hmm...I wish I could remember what it was called. :he Anyways, maybe I won't try putting them together. Do you think the size of the cage might make a difference? Like if it was the size of a horse stall? hmm...I'll have to think about this more.
It would really depend on the rabbits still, mine were in a building I used for my old horse and they would chase each other around and fur went everywhere, just make sure if you do that you supervise them for a while just in case a fight breaks out . I had one rabbit that hated any other rabbit and 2 females that loved being togher . Maybe do some more reading on it if possible ? Im not sure really but good luck and let us know how it goes if you do . :thumbsup

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the website you are looking for but it does give the "how to" on introducing rabbits.

http://www.ehow.com/how_16475_introduce-rabbits-each.html

Everything I've read has stated that rabbits are territorial. And they are not exactly nice when they do NOT want another rabbit in their territory, male or female. Also I've read that rabbits are individuals. They all have different personalities and temperments. So some will get along together and some won't. Sorry no clear answer to what you are asking. I tried and failed to find anything in print. All I know are Does will kill another Doe or even a buck because her job is to protect her kits and their territory. They don't fight to hurt, they fight to kill. Remember they are still that "hard wired" wild animal instinct of procreation.

Knock on wood for me. My intact males closing in on Manhood at 5 months are still friendly to one another. But I know that anything could happen because of that "hard wired" mentality. I've been very watchful of their actions. So far so good.

Good Luck. :)

animalsRawsome

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok. I definatly will let everyone know. I don't know if it is worht the risk of one of them (or ME!) getting hurt though. And thanks ms research for the link. It wasn't the one i was looking for, but it was a very good resource.

bluemini

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
In my opinion if they even start to chase or growl like then take them out , cause I didnt and they did hurt each other . And not trying to sound harsh but to me its just not worth it . If you do put them togher just make sure you watch them , I had one pair that was fine when I went out but came back the next morning and they had been fighting . For some reason my bucks didnt really have this problem but the does did .

All though usually if they grow up togher and havent be apart they are fine ,in my experience with this anyways .

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
At TSC, picked up a magazine called Rabbits, from the editors of Rabbits USA and Critters USA. It's from their Critter Series. I have to say after reading this, that it was very informative. Excellent articles. It stated regarding introducing that rabbits will accept rabbits on their own terms. Some rabbits will not like one no matter what we do or how we introduce. To introduce a rabbit, you must allow them to live next to each other in eye contact for at least 2 weeks. Then you must take them to a neutral spot and allow them to meet each other. It could take a good month to introduce some bunnies. It can be done with some but not with others. It depends on how much you want them to be crate mates. Also suggest is to give them each their own litter box. Some rabbits don't like to go in the same litter box. Some rabbits co-exist with just tolerating each other. They don't groom each other but do tolerate each other. A successful bonding is when you see grooming. A rabbit will lay it's head down for the other to groom. This shows trust.

They are strange little creatures. But definitely interesting to learn about. :)

doxiemoxie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
A basic rule of thumb is that rabbits are territorial so be prepared for fighting:

the corollaries are: when breeding always put the doe into the Buck's cage or place them both into a neutral territory together.
Don't mix does that are pregnant or have litters.
Be prepared to break up a fight: long sleeves, leather gloves...

My experience is that if you want them to live together start them together as babies or as a mother daughter pairs.