Introduction to our Farm

oldfarmcollies

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We raise English Shepherds here on our Ranch in the Missouri Ozarks, as well as heritage breeds of Sheep, goats, chickens, and crossbred cattle. Our dogs accompany us with chores and help move the sheep and goats from pasture to pasture in a rotational grazing system.

watching.jpg
01414_2i2WU1wytE6z_0vN0t2_600x450.jpg
IMG_4081.JPG
tobychey.jpg

ad2.jpg
hevra (2).jpg

IMG_8618.JPG
IMG_4065.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from east Texas! What breeds of sheep and goats do you raise? Your dogs are beautiful!

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have an English Shepherd/Border Collie mix.

Despite her mix, she did not inherit any working abilities. She loves to be outside and go on adventures, but don’t even think about asking her to help with sheep. She’s not afraid of them, she just wants nothing to do with work. She’s basically just a cute bed warmer. 🤣

oldfarmcollies

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have an English Shepherd/Border Collie mix.

Despite her mix, she did not inherit any working abilities. She loves to be outside and go on adventures, but don’t even think about asking her to help with sheep. She’s not afraid of them, she just wants nothing to do with work. She’s basically just a cute bed warmer. 🤣
That's too bad! She is very pretty.
We herd test our puppies to try to avoid that happening to farm folks.....or sending a high drive dog to town!
Our one female has guardian instinct, but is not interested in herding, despite working dogs being heavily in her pedigree as well. However, she is high prey drive and loves varminting.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's too bad! She is very pretty.
We herd test our puppies to try to avoid that happening to farm folks.....or sending a high drive dog to town!
Our one female has guardian instinct, but is not interested in herding, despite working dogs being heavily in her pedigree as well. However, she is high prey drive and loves varminting.
Thankfully, I didn’t get her as a working animal so there’s no real disappointment there. She was a rescue of sorts. She and her mom were found in the middle of the road by my BIL. When the owner was found he said that he didn’t want them anymore and told my sister to keep them.

I did a DNA test on her recently and she’s about 50/50, but not like we were told. We were told that mom was ES and dad was the neighbor’s BC, but turns out both parents were 50/50.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi and Welcome for So Cal. Nice looking sheep, goats and dogs!
I have Laekenois that work here on the ranch - moving, sorting, taking the sheep down the ranch road to different graze areas where the dog then morphs from mover into living fence keeping the sheep were they need to be. Working dogs are worth more than their weight in gold.

IMG_4216.jpeg

oldfarmcollies

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi and Welcome for So Cal. Nice looking sheep, goats and dogs!
I have Laekenois that work here on the ranch - moving, sorting, taking the sheep down the ranch road to different graze areas where the dog then morphs from mover into living fence keeping the sheep were they need to be. Working dogs are worth more than their weight in gold.

View attachment 94555
Thank you! We enjoy them all so much and love the versatility of our dogs. Such great companions and helpers when we need them.

Latest posts