Introduction

wayneleake

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have been raising goats for over 11 years now, and Barbado sheep about 9 or so.
I'm 80 now, and have COPD, so cannot do as much as I used to.
I live in Imperial Texas, a small community in Pecos County.
My neighbor does most of the feeding for me now.
She loves animals also.
We had to raise a bottle baby last year, because her mama was young and refused to let her suckle.
I did manage to get a few tablespoons worh of Colostrum that we mixed with the milk replacer.
She has done well, and is out with the rest. Though she was penned away from the rest, she was not isolated from them.
I hope to not have to do that again.

Wayne WA2YNE

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome @wayneleak. So nice to have you join us. :frow

As @RollingAcres said DH & I live in Texas. We are in NE TX near Sulphur Springs.

That you love your animals & found help caring for then, when you are not able is a good indicator of your moral fiber.

DH & I are in our late 60s (me), early 70s (DH), and there some days it is a challenge to care for the animals.

I'm not sure if we will still have our animals when DH turns 80. :th :old

wayneleake

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello @wayneleake and welcome to BYH! Glad you joined us!
@Baymule @Latestarter @greybeard @Devonviolet are in Texas as well.

Welcome @wayneleak. So nice to have you join us. :frow

As @RollingAcres said DH & I live in Texas. We are in NE TX near Sulphur Springs.

That you love your animals & found help caring for then, when you are not able is a good indicator of your moral fiber.

DH & I are in our late 60s (me), early 70s (DH), and there some days it is a challenge to care for the animals.

I'm not sure if we will still have our animals when DH turns 80. :th :old
Texas is a pretty large state. I know some places, but many I do not.
I moved here for good in 2005, and got my first goats in 2006.
About 2008, or maybe early 2009, I added Barbado hair sheep to the herd.
I also had a few chickens given to me some years back, and since have raised some from chicks two times. I'd like to raise a few more this year, but won't be able to buy chicks till next month, as due to a few misfortunes, I wound up with half of my Social secrurity taken back. all in one lump.
I have agofundme, that I repost on my facebook page every so often.
It started uout because I had 2 AC units go bad, and another acting up, plus a fridge going out..
I was able to get one new AC and one used small one given to me.
Plus I renewed a loan to be able to get the new fridge. They are so costly nowadays
I won't post the gofundme here. Don't know if it is even allowed.
I was hoping to have enough kids to sell last year, to be able to help out, but only had a few.
This year, so far, one doe had two kids, but one passed away when she was about 2 weeks old.
Don't know when the others will kid. Are 3 who may be pregnant.
One who was kept away from the rest because she was a bottle baby, was not bred.
I still don't know if her mama cleaned her up, or if it was Sissy, and older doe who was always good to the others.. Only know that her mama refused to let her suckle.
But at least Susan, my neighbor and good friend, got her onto bottles right away, and I managed to get a bit of colostrum to mix in right away.
Things do happen, and little we can do at times.
I need to get out and get some stuff put away, and hopefully pull a few wild mustard plants for all of them.
even the chickens love em.
Are more of them growing this season that usual.

Wayne WA2YNE

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow-you're way out there in surenuf God's Country!
I spent a few months up the highway from you just SE of Crane on the McElroy Ranch doing some oil field work. Wife and I are considering trying to find some property near Mentone.

Welcome aboard.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome! I am on the other side of the state from you, near the Tyler Texas area. We have hair sheep, chickens, 4 horses, 3 dogs and feeder pigs usually in the spring through fall.

Latest posts