introductions, how and when

1crazybird

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My kid is getting older and I would like to see how my buck would get along with him. He is four weeks soon. He gets along well enough with my other doe but even she charges him. How and at what age should I introduce my kid buck to my buck? Thank you in advance!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
@Southern by choice - She loves bucks :love and has like 10+ (soon to be 15+ I expect :hide) or @Goat Whisperer (another crazy buck lover :hugs) might could help here... @OneFineAcre has quite a few as well...

One of the first things I'd want to know is does your adult buck have horns? there will most likely be some butting to establish ranking and your baby could get seriously hurt. Also, what is the adult buck's disposition/behavior like? Is he aggressive? passive? friendly?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
We put them with the bucks when we need to separate from the does
Usually at 10 weeks or so
Girls are usually meaner to kids that aren't theirs than a buck would be to a buck kid
But one thing
A young buckling isn't very bucky yet so an older one may court him some and try to mount him
But give him some time and the young one will start trying to mount the older one

Katrina

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a buck that is not quite 4 weeks old, he is a bottle baby living inside with us for now..yesterday I picked up his sister that is the runt..she is half his size..he is about 10.5 lbs and she is 5lbs and about 3 to 4 inches shorter than her.. I thought they could sleep together in same giant dog kennel but he head butts her really hard into the sides of kennel. So I separated them and he does it to her around the living room..I have stopped him so he does not hurt her..my question is will they get along eventually? They are brother and sister from same litter but very different in size. .
Both were pulled from mom, I bought boy as bottle baby and bought her later.
Any feedback would be great.. they are Nigerian dwarf

1crazybird

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
@Southern by choice - She loves bucks :love and has like 10+ (soon to be 15+ I expect :hide) or @Goat Whisperer (another crazy buck lover :hugs) might could help here... @OneFineAcre has quite a few as well...

One of the first things I'd want to know is does your adult buck have horns? there will most likely be some butting to establish ranking and your baby could get seriously hurt. Also, what is the adult buck's disposition/behavior like? Is he aggressive? passive? friendly?
Yes all my goats have horns.

1crazybird

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score

Lol sorry, happy fingers and I didn't answer the rest. He is usually a very passive gentile quite guy. So shy. But the man I got him from said he was hurting his father because of his horns and his father was debudded.

1crazybird

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you
We put them with the bucks when we need to separate from the does
Usually at 10 weeks or so
Girls are usually meaner to kids that aren't theirs than a buck would be to a buck kid
But one thing
A young buckling isn't very bucky yet so an older one may court him some and try to mount him
But give him some time and the young one will start trying to mount the older one
Thank you for your help!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @Katrina and welcome to BYH. :frow Seems you got here at just the right time to join this thread :eek: Just in case you don't know, goat bucks become capable of mating at a very young age, and they don't care about relationships... If he's not wethered, you're going to need to separate them in a short time to prevent mating.

Goats, like most herd animals, have to establish a hierarchy and that will take a little time. I would cut back on his feed and start feeding her the goat version of HGH or anabolic steroids so she can catch up and surpass him, then kick his ... ... ... Ahhh joking of course ;)
sorry, got carried away :hide :gig Hope they become fast friends and you all live happily ever after! Glad you joined us!

Katrina

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Greetings @Katrina and welcome to BYH. :frow Seems you got here at just the right time to join this thread :eek: Just in case you don't know, goat bucks become capable of mating at a very young age, and they don't care about relationships... If he's not wethered, you're going to need to separate them in a short time to prevent mating.

Goats, like most herd animals, have to establish a hierarchy and that will take a little time. I would cut back on his feed and start feeding her the goat version of HGH or anabolic steroids so she can catch up and surpass him, then kick his ... ... ... Ahhh joking of course ;)
sorry, got carried away :hide :gig Hope they become fast friends and you all live happily ever after! Glad you joined us!

Thanks for the info..
My little man has been castrated, and the girl is getting a little better she is still super tiny..but the slept together last night for the first time and no injuries this morning. So hopefully on the right track. She was the runt and I think she is about 2 weeks behind him even though they came from same litter. She seems happy and he doesn't head butt her very often anymore..yay