Intro'ing myself

Pakalana

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi!

Well we're located in North Central Washington on a few acres we're slowing turning into a family farm. It's been 3 yrs since we started and have finally moved into a cow (delved into beef steers last summer as well). She's a Jersey and just as sweet as you please. Right now, I milk by hand, which is my preference. Depending on what life throws my way, I have a small surge at my disposal (and she has experience with one) if needed.
The bovine world is a new one, aside from the food end and singing to them through the fence when I was a kid. I've loved cows since I was a kid and I'm thrilled to finally have one (not meant for the freezer) on the place. We have 5 growing kids, ages 12-5, 3 boys 2 girls.

Aside from that, chickens, a duck with species confusion, goats (dairy and working on picking up a couple for hair), pigs come and go and we're trying out turkeys this year for the first time.

My other misc. animals:
4 Cats-
Chairman Meow, Siamese, abandoned and ended up here
Sparky, Siamese, stray someone set him on fire just before Halloween and dh brought him home to see if he could pull through, which he has.
Fluffy and Nani, 1st came with the house, 2nd decided that my husband's shoulders were a good place to perch one night....and she came home. They're our outside mouse/critter patrol.
2 Dogs-
Daisy, hound/pointer mix, wandering dh's patrol area late one winter night...it was the big sad eyes and shivering that got him.
Seamus, chocolate Lab, dropped off at the pound late one night...again.....in the vet's opinion it's a good thing he doesn't work animal control. ;)
Various other slimy critters that my boys find, they come and go. I have an overnight visit rule.

I also spin, want to start making soap, garden, all that fun stuff. Dh has finally given into an alpaca if I'd like, but I think I'm going to give myself at least a year before exploring that. I started spinning when I was 13, dropped it for a long time and just recently took it back up again.
Our goal is to be as self-sufficient as possible, but the lifestyle is the motivator. We both come from strong farming families, that took a break with our parents generation.

I tend to lurk (free time is non-exsistant anymore) more than post and usually questions at that, but wanted to let you guys know who you're talking to.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:welcome
Don't be afraid to ask any questions you have. We are here to help.

I'm a dairy farmer with chickens, 1 DH, 2 DD's (10 Kute Kitten and 4 Peanut). You'll find a wide range of knowledge and experience here. :)

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Hi Pakalana!
Welcome!

I'm in SW Washington.
I have 51 cows,(ok, they are not all "cows", some are heifers, some are steers and 1 is a bull)
4 dogs, 4 geese and waaaay too many chickens, ducks, guineas, and cats!
I've been trying to convince Hubby I need an alpaca! The excuse that I've never had one, doesn't seem to be a good reason to get one?

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
:welcome im a retired dairymen.been fooling with cattle all my life.ask all the qs you want an we will try to answer them.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome, Pakalana. I'm in SW Washington, too, not far from thewife. :)

I'm all for the self-sustaining lifestyle...don't have it yet, but love to learn! Spinning sounds fun, too!

Pakalana

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
thewife said:
I've been trying to convince Hubby I need an alpaca! The excuse that I've never had one, doesn't seem to be a good reason to get one?
LOL! Good luck! It was a big deal here for him to agree, my dh has a very strong aversion to any animal that can/will spit at him. ;)

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Pakalana said:
thewife said:
LOL! Good luck! It was a big deal here for him to agree, my dh has a very strong aversion to any animal that can/will spit at him. ;)
My Hubby has an aversion to anything that requires food!

Have you ever seen or been to the Alpace ranch near Tenino?
I've asked him to jump out as we are driving by at 50mph, and nab one for me, but he won't do it!

Pakalana

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Nope I haven't, haven't been to that part of the state much honestly. In grade school I went to a Llama farm for a field trip. That's probably what started it all. ;)

They're all but throwing them at passing cars around here. This is range cattle and horse country here, no one is very impressed with Llamas. LOL I'm guessing a few tried to get them going without success, I've seen a couple for next to nothing in the local trade paper. Of course, just to make it difficult, I want Alpacas.

Just an FYI, my cousin spotted a Free Alpaca sign up by Bellingham on Hwy 20. ;)

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
I love driving by the Alpaca farm! I think if he ever did let me have one, I would not be able to pick "1"!

A lady I bought a cow from, tried to GIVE me a Llama! Hubby was even going to let me get it! I had enough going on at the time, so I was the one that said no!

Pakalana

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I hate it when that happens.

Not sure how much you know about them, but I'd stick with the Alpacas. Shear them twice a year and even if you don't spin yourself, their fleece is going for top dollar these days. I'm seeing prices of $2-4 an ounce right now, raw fleece.

Just a thought. ;)

Latest posts