Is 3 foot high cattle panels tall enough for Nigerians?

AnnaLease

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Or do we need to get 4 foot? We will only have a few goats, and no bucks.

Wild Wind Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
the Jr. does would be out of there as soon as I put them in :lol:

AnnaLease

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Do you mean jumping over or going through?

AnnaLease

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I know that kids would be able to go through, but a breeder I talked to said that they wouldn't want to be away from their moms, so they wouldn't get out.

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
HA - my breeder couldn't keep her babies in the pen - they very willingly left mom behind to explore. Don't believe a word of it.

My Nigerian does can clear three feet easy at six months old. I'm not positive that they can't clear four foot, they just haven't figured it out yet.

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Nigerians are notorious jumpers. They are also very smart. My nigerianX can scale a 4 ft gate. Taller for sure.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You would be looking at a minimum of 4 feet with a hot wire running above that, But you would probably need 5 foot panels.

My big boers have a hard time jumping 2 feet, but our more agile nubian crosses can easily clear 3 and 4 feet and are a bit more of a fencing challenge combared to the boers.

I know Nigerians can be very good jumpers from reading information on here.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
My Nigerians have never tried to jump a fence. But they sure do look for the holes to crawl out under. Yes there are jumpers but I know a lot of Nigerian breeders and their problems aren't jumping. I have a 4 foot no climb woven wire horse fence and have never had one jump over it. No electric either.

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My nigerians that I used to have could fit through the squares on the cattle panels at the age of 6 months. It didn't look like they could fit, but as soon as they got their head through the rest of the body wiggled through. I agree with the bottom section of your fencing being the part you secure the best. My 3 Nigerians never tried to jump but they sure could find tiny little dips in the ground to make their way under the fence or through cracks along buildings. They were escape artists. :rolleyes:

Latest posts