Is he a mix?

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I recently started to notice that my American Blue buck has reddish brown patches on his sides. The fur also has a different feel to it. This is new for him and I have had him for over a year. I noticed it a couple of months ago and thought it may go away with shedding, but it hasnt. He also shed in chunks instead of loose hairs like the others. The guy I bought him from did have NZ as well as Americans. He said they were pure and I did see the parents who looked nice and blue. But now I wonder. Im selling these guys and want to know what Im selling.
60603B53-E3D5-476B-8083-5317269FF7E6.jpeg

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
IMG_20211023_114258.jpg
This on the rump of a mixed silver fox and agouti new Zealand. He shed everywhere heavy a few weeks ago. Except for there on both sides of his body. My opinion is that the shed didn't complete, the hair is dead and turned color. " Stuck in the molt" I guess. I read somewhere about using b.o.s.s. idk. haven't tried anything or researched it lately.
He is mixed and does have some reddish copper color on the back of his neck. But this different , notice how it sticks out seems longer, similar to your picture. I guess we'll find out.

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
View attachment 87996
This on the rump of a mixed silver fox and agouti new Zealand. He shed everywhere heavy a few weeks ago. Except for there on both sides of his body. My opinion is that the shed didn't complete, the hair is dead and turned color. " Stuck in the molt" I guess. I read somewhere about using b.o.s.s. idk. haven't tried anything or researched it lately.
He is mixed and does have some reddish copper color on the back of his neck. But this different , notice how it sticks out seems longer, similar to your picture. I guess we'll find out.
Someone replied to my BYC thread and linked to a BYH thread, lol
Its pretty short and informative

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I guess as long as it isn't hurting them and we aren't doing something wrong good enough I guess. Still it would be nice to understand why that hair is longer. Wasn't before he molted. Sunlight and pee stains don't cover that.
He's pretty well shaded, not in the dark by any means. My dutch gets more direct light than him and 4 yrs no change. Black as coal, white as snow.
You still gonna try selling him?

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I guess as long as it isn't hurting them and we aren't doing something wrong good enough I guess. Still it would be nice to understand why that hair is longer. Wasn't before he molted. Sunlight and pee stains don't cover that.
He's pretty well shaded, not in the dark by any means. My dutch gets more direct light than him and 4 yrs no change. Black as coal, white as snow.
You still gonna try selling him?
No, he’s my buddy and only buck right now. If it turns out hes actually mixed then I will retire him but keep him. Maybe have a house bunny 😂
What about you? Are yours pets or do you sell?

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Pets for me mostly, fertilizer factory, something to worry about. I had kits in June, 6 dwindled down to three long story.. One is going to a 7 yr old for free, two went to Camp Amana, bad story there, 1 failed to thrive, guess I'll keep the last two. Started out thinking I would breed Flemish Giants for pets. Life happened.
I like them a lot. Fun to watch. Quiet, not under my feet. Keep me busy just enough. Couldn't have them in the house though. Allergies.
Couple are 5yrs , ones 4, then two and under. They help my tomatoes. It's cool when they come to you. When they don't oh well. Their so quiet neighbors don't even know I have them.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, they do molt. Better than chickens tho because they are caged! You can find them. Chickens. They pull feathers off and you find enough for a small pillow...then look for a carcass :oops: ... Then happy to see a scraggly, half naked chicken walking around! 😁

Latest posts