Is it a bad idea to get a sheep with mastitis?

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I was searching CL as I want to expand my flock since I'm raising meat for us and I want to sell. I haven't found too many good deals on CL so I figured I would just keep some of my ewes lambs (and probably will end up keeping a couple anyway), but then I found this add on CL this morning. I REALLY want the red or black ram as I have always pictured having a red one be my 'Anakin' and black one my 'Vadar". Yes, I'm a HUGE star wars fan, lol! But I'm running on limited funds right now :(

Then I saw the 4 year old ewe for $75, what a deal! I know that it's because she has mastitis, but still, you can't even get a lamb for that around here! My question is, knowing she has mastitis would it not be a good idea to get her? I could supplement with a bottle. Pics should be in order of the listing.

For Sale Katahdin Hair Sheep
I have 2 ram lambs. One is white and one is brown. The brown one has a trace amount of wool breed in him but I believe he has hair. $125 each, cash
4 year old ewe, Very friendly and would make a good pet. Last year she had mastitis and now only one side of her udder works, but is a great mother. $75 cash
Yearling ewe, all white and may be bred. $150 cash
3 year old proven ram, black. $200 cash
All sheep are up to date on vaccinations and the adults have been wormed as well.

00h0h_a40BBa50w2s_600x450.jpg

00Q0Q_ftyMBeuMmUn_600x450.jpg

00w0w_2Wo7fpoaipf_600x450.jpg

00O0O_amU8DkAKObB_600x450.jpg

00v0v_jeNSqvuDHoQ_600x450.jpg

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She seems to be in good condition. And I forgot to mention that she's a hour and 47 minutes away. Is she still worth it then?

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
They appear to be barbados X breds . A few steps backwards for meat production. As to that ewe with mastitis ... bad idea as well as a money pit!

Last edited:

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Really?! How can you tell that? I though you could get pure bred red,cinnamon, black katahdins? I know Barbados aren't as good for meat,they grow slower. :(

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A doe or cow or ewe with mastitis is a problem animal. Why buy a problem? I would not buy her, no matter what the price, but that is just my opinion. You could incur more in vet bills than it would be worth, in the long run. I know you don't want to hear this, but don't buy some one else's problems.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
They deferentially don't look like pure Katahdin Sheep. It depends on what your looking for, if you want a slower growing sheep then you get them, if you want faster growing I would stick with the pure Katahdin Sheep or St Croix. I am hoping to get some St Croix soon. We had two Katahdin Dorper cross and they grew like fire weed.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Take that $75 you were going to use on that doe and put it aside. Continue saving. It's not worth the risk. There's a reason shes cheap.

Keep looking. You'll find something.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Really?! How can you tell that? I though you could get pure bred red,cinnamon, black katahdins? I know Barbados aren't as good for meat,they grow slower. :(
Hint : look at your photos and what do you see on the neck and chest. Look at the conformation- Not typical Katahdin ! Then compare to photos of Barbados.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I know you're really excited at the prospect of a "really good deal" but normally those are the ones to walk away from. If you were buying it purely as a pet or terminal (freezer) animal, that might be a different story. Save your money and buy quality! breed percentage aside, Don't waste your limited resources on someone else's discard/cull animal. You want to breed BETTER genetics into your herd, not (demonstrated) poor quality with medical issues.